Bought a Used Macbook Pro - Do I need to buy OS X to formate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evolut, May 19, 2013.

1. Evolut macrumors newbie

Hey there!
    Please keep in mind that I have never before used a Mac and are therefor really inexperienced with the OS :)

Yesterday I bought a Macbook Pro (2nd generation) from a random dude on the Internet. Today I want to formate the computer to get rid of his old junk! My problem is that when I try to recover I get denied, because my Apple-Account doesn't own OS X Lion, which is currently installed. Do I need to buy Lion or did I do something wrong?

When I tried to formate I pressed Command + R during boot, which brought me to some kind of recovery. Then I just pressed Install Lion on my harddrive.

If the case is that I have to buy Lion, then where do I buy it? I read somewhere that you have to mail Apple to be able to buy it, since it isn't on the App Store anymore. Would it be possible to buy Mountain Lion instead? I read somewhere that it might not work on this Macbook Pro (as I said, it's the 2nd generation, late 2006).

I'd be grateful for some answers!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you have the MBP 2,2 it can go up to 10.7.5.

Did you already wipe the disk, if not you don't really need to format it, you could create a new User with Admin rights (Important) and then delete the old User.
    But, if you want to reinstall AND you didn't wipe yet you can buy in the App store within OS X.
    If you already wiped it you're out of luck and AFAIK you first have to install Snow Leopard and then buy Lion from within Snow Leopard on the Appstore.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

You might have to call Apple, as Lion is no longer available in the App Store.

You will not be able to install Mountain Lion on that computer, it is too old and not supported.

You do need to buy your own copy before you can reinstall.

4. Evolut, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013

Evolut thread starter macrumors newbie

I did not wipe the disk and I don't know how to either, for that matter. Erm, the MacBook Pro 2,2 would be the model from late 2006? :)

Thanks for your time, justperry!

Allrighty, thank you!

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Wasn't even aware/didn't think Lion was not available anymore, stupid move if you ask me.

Just do as in My first post, this will clear almost all his stuff, there could be some traces in the main Library but it is too hard to find out what, you could potentially damage the OS so that it won't start up.

I do have a tip for you, after you are all set up make a backup, this will make it much easier to recover from "disaster".

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As others mentioned, you can't run Mountain Lion, only Lion.

Just call Apple at 1800MYAPPLE and for $19.99 they will give you a code you can enter on the App Store to purchase Lion.

After you have done that, do the command-r boot then start Disk Util once the screen comes up. Use Disk Util to erase Macintosh HD then click install OS. You will be asked for your AppleID you used to buy Lion.

This will give you a clean install with nothing but the OS on there. Just be aware that if you have iLife or any other apps on there from the previous owner, they will also be gone and you will have to repurchase those apps also.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You'd be better off with Snow Leopard (10.6) in my opinion, should you decide to reformat instead of opening a new user account. 10.6 was the last Mac OS on a disk. 10.7 had a limited release on flash drive (sell on ebay for about $70) and 10.8 was download only. No longer available from Apple, it is readily available on ebay etc for around its original retail price-$30.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Brand-New-Retail-Mac-OS-X-SNOW-LEOPARD-10-6-/230982864508?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item35c7a6ce7c

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are mistaken, you can call Apple like I described in my post above and get a code to DL Lion from the App Store.

9. Evolut thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds nice, cheap and easy. Thank you!

Thanks, but I'll stick to Lion - seems simpler and cheaper, not to mention newer ;)

10. chrfr macrumors 603

And as a point of clarification, Snow Leopard is still available from Apple, for $19. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard