Bought Airport Extreme last night - today the new Time Capsule price - take it back?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Jul 30, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all,

I bought an Airport Extreme less than 24 hours ago. But for only $299, a 1TB Time Capsule seems like a really great deal. Can I take it back, even though I opened it up and set it up last night? I obviously still have all the original packaging and materials.

Thanks!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

You will have to pay a 15% restocking fee.

You can just buy a 1TB external USB drive and connect it to your AEBS for the exact functionality of the TC for less $ than the TC.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well at this point, the price advantage of that is less than it was before. If I pay around $90 for an external drive, and $180 for an airport extreme, that's $270... let's say i get a deal and I can get the drive for $10 cheaper. So that's $260. Is it worth $40 to get a product that keeps me from having to have two separate devices? I think so.

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

AEBS is just better, IMHO, because you can hook up whatever you want. Keep your AEBS unless you desperately need a consolidated device.

5. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thanks - I have extensive experience with both devices. I don't need to be convinced of the merits of each - just curious about Apple's refund policy when something like this happens.

6. jeshepard macrumors member

I did the same thing. Looking on apple's website they say that they will give a price reduction within 14 days of the purchase if you call this number 1-800-676-2775.

Now, I'm not sure what happens when the price difference is a different version of the product, but I'm going to call after lunch and give it a try.

I'll post the results.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Thank you! Please post results here.

8. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I would take it back (no restocking fee if you bought it at Best Buy) and trade for the Time Capsule. A 1TB, networked drive built-in to your wireless router for an extra $99 is a hell of a deal.

9. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Bought it at the apple store...

10. jeshepard macrumors member

So they gave me 2 options. I could get $50 back, or I could get charged a 10% restocking fee and they would send me the 1TB TC and I would have to ship the 500GB unit back to them.

Actually, they just got back to me (I am currently on hold) and they waved the restocking fee.

I've heard about other people having good luck with Apple when this happens, but I've never experienced it myself. Probably a good idea to go in with a sunny disposition as the person helping will be more receptive.

Edit: I purchased mine online, so I had to call them. I would imagine that you would get the same deal at the store.

11. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

ah okay good to hear it! I will go down there this afternoon, with everything boxed up nicely, and i'll see what my luck brings!

12. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

It's funny I've been thinking about purchasing a TC or updated AEBS for sometime - I was at Best Buy yesterday and had an AEBS in my hand to purchase.

Just by luck I put it back. :cool:

With the EDU discount $279 is a great price for an integrated device. Good job :apple:.

Best of luck spaceball - that is cool they will offer you money back.

13. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Just letting everyone know that it was no problem for me to exchange the Airport Extreme yesterday. No restocking fee. Now I've got a nice new 1TB time capsule and an airport express to extend the network :D.

14. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

And $200 in your pocket. :D

15. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I owned a first-generation of the Time Capsule and was not satisfied well with its performance retrieving backup jobs and accessing them. It just took too long, even within a good range of the unit. Another thing I noticed is that any content I played wirelessly (avi movies, ripped tv show's) - would hiccup constantly while the TC was backing up.

Now I have an external My Book (1TB) which I'm using for Time Capsule purposes and it works wonderfully fast. It doesn't bother me that it's not wireless, because I'm usually plugged in with my MBP on my desk anyways and I always plug in at the end of my day at least, so I am backing up on a daily basis. Ask yourself - do you need a backup constantly for everything that you do?

I also purchased a new AEBS unit a few days ago - from Best Buy - and it's still in its original, unwrapped conditions. Not so sure if I want it anymore, but it sure beats that Belkin + Airport Express that I have now.

Sorry about my rant/blabber. My suggestion is this: Consider the performance of your backups, and speed of retrieval of files, wirelessly.

16. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I purchased the Airport Extreme today, maybe should swap it for the Time Capsule, although I don't know if I really need it because I can't use it because the data I share has to go to both PC's and Macs. External HD is most likely a better choice for me.

But now I'm still thinking about it... lol

17. paduck macrumors 6502