Bought an iPhone 5 today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biffarino, Mar 2, 2013.

1. biffarino macrumors member

... and it took three phones before the black metal was perfect.

Even then, I get the phone in the daylight and then more become apparent.

I thought this **** would be sorted by now. Apple has lost it.

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Welcome to MacRumors. I hope your experience with your new iPhone5 is delightful and without further incident.

Is this your first iPhone or was it an upgrade?

3. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

Its pretty difficult to get a perfectly good black iPhone 5. There are many people who have experienced the same issue as you have unfortunately :(

4. shenfrey macrumors 68000

5. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I'd be more worried about getting one with a good screen if it were me than a nick on the body.

Seems sort of inevitable anyways.

Even if resell is your intention, enjoy keeping it pristine and selling it for the same price as one with a slight nick (seeing as how almost all of them having some minor imperfection, but it adds character if it doesn't impact the experience).

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Mine was perfect out of the store and now it's got nicks galore. Not something I'd worry about honestly.

7. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

I had to exchange my perfect iPhone 5 yesterday because the screen was failing. Took three tries but I got a refurb with two small( pinhead) size blemishes. But the first two were really bad. One included dust under the glass on the screen. I'm just thankful this one has the small issues it does. Just so everyone knows I had to make three separate genius appointments. They wouldn't allow me to see more than one phone at a time.

8. wc17 macrumors member

I'm 5-6 months in. My 1 and only was in good shape. A bit of a silver spot near the top. 6 months later it has more scratches (not a lot but a few around the bezel).

What an awesome phone though! I love to I pull it out of my pocket and play with it!

Enjoy your bloody phone. Stop being so anal about a scratch or two cause it WILL happen. If you're NOT gonna enjoy it because you're too worried about scratching it, return it and buy a plastic android phone...

9. soomster macrumors regular

soomster

iPhone5 looks and feels cheap! 4s all the way!!

10. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Biffarino's been a member here for 3 years. But hey, never to late to shout out a welcome! haha

11. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Mine, Week 2 black (16GB) model, came with three marks on it. None are major. Works flawlessly. I'm keeping and enjoying it. Finding a pristine iPhone 5 seems to be quite the undertaking.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a coworker who has a 4S and a slew of iPads. Always making comments about my Macs (PowerBooks) which I bring to work because they are 10 and 7 years old respectively.

I upgraded to my iPhone 5 six months ago and just like my last phone it's on prominent display at work (I use it as a desktop clock).

I haven't heard ONE WORD from her about anything in the last six months.

Just saying…

13. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

F her.

14. wxman2003 Suspended

I never stare at my bezel. It's a phone not a Picasso.

15. Hail Caesar macrumors regular

Mine is nicked up around the edges, not to worried about it anymore. This I think is the only issue that i have ever had with an iPhone.

16. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I was pretty anal about my iP5 when I first got it. Now not too much anymore.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I quite agree.

I just find it interesting how all of a sudden my iPhone 5 just shut her up (and the attitude). The iPhone 4S is a great phone, but apparently she doesn't think it's better than my i5 as her silence speaks volumes. :D

18. xMClass macrumors 6502

Just bought an iPhone 5 myself last week. Perfect right out of the box. No scuffs and/or scratches. And yes, I looked at it up close and inspected it thoroughly. Some of you people who inspect these things under a microscope (only half joking) need to go see a doctor. You're not buying a diamond ring, it's a freakin' phone! Just use the damn thing! Chances are, it's going to get scratched anyway. :rolleyes:

19. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Would the member who inspected his white iPhone 5 for flaws with a jewelers loupe please stand up?

20. Spidder macrumors member

I thought that too. Production Week?

21. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Went to the genius bar because iPhone had dust inside the camera and was effecting picture quality. In my case, the genius opened 3 phones (all of them had various damage) until he finally said he could no longer open any more. I paid over $700 for this phone, so I wasn't going to settle for one with dents or scratches on it. I called a manager over and we went through 7 before she stopped me. I chose the least damage one which still had a couple nicks on it (not too bad). So in the end, it is not easy to get a perfect iPhone 5.

22. BrandonZ macrumors 6502

Man. I thought three was bad enough. It is sad they seem to have such a hard time making a flawless phone.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Are you kidding me? Can't believe people do this. Do you do this with everything you buy?

24. Davejprince macrumors regular

25. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

That's very unfortunate about your phone, but saying Apple has lost it is a really bold statement. It's hard to make a perfect phone when everyones vision of perfect is different.