Bought an iPhone 8, what are the new features besides True Tone, fast charging, and wireless chargin

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Under the hood, A11X and Neural Engine. Geekbench scores that top any phone in the market now. Not sure if OIS on the main camera counts as one of them, 4K slo mo recording, just to name a few.

Just look here:
    https://www.apple.com/iphone-8/

2. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

More than enough, what else could you wish for :)

3. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

Why didn’t you just do a simple Google search? Before buying the phone.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

You know, a part of the joy of getting a new phone is discovering these things yourself. It's nice to be surprised every once in a while. ;)

5. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Understandable. But the OP specifically asking what features are new besides Tru-Tone, wireless/fast charging.

Other features that would be considered new or improved would be the new retina HD display, the stereo speakers are reportedly 25% louder, of course the glass backing and portrait lighting.

6. Erdbeertorte, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  7. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Where is portrait lighting in the iPhone 8???

I was looking forward to it for selfies but can't find it!

8. RhysoTDI macrumors member

RhysoTDI

8+ only due to the dual camera

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Portrait lighting would not work for selfies anyway, it's meant for the dual camera on the iPhone 8+.

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

FWIW, I disabled True Tone.

I prefer the cooler display. Warmer LCD tones just look off to my eyes, and make whites look sallow.

Some people obviously prefer the more “paper white” look of True Tone.

11. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

While I love this phone, Apple didn’t really add any “tent pole” new features for this release like they have done for previous “s” releases.

4s - Siri
    5s - TouchID / Apple Pay
    6s - Much improved performance in the + (I guess this one didn’t add a tent pole either)
    8 - wireless charging, portrait lighting

The thing is that the 8 will benchmark as well or better than the X due to the chip. So if you don’t care about OLED or FaceID but do care about camera and speed, 8 is ideal

12. Hieveryone, Sep 23, 2017

Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Yeah to me true tone looks atrocious but I'm guessing maybe I'll get used to it? I assuming it's better since it's a new feature...
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Somewhere in there came 3D Touch I think. I love that feature.

13. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

14. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I think it’s just how a person’s eyes and brain interpret contrast and color balance.

Some people are praising True Tone. I’ve always preferred cooler displays, even way back in the days of rotary dial CRT’s. I also like the coolish whites associated with Samsung AMOLED QHD displays.

15. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I’m in the prefer warmer tones camp. Love TT on my IPP.

16. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer with True Tone, but I’m glad the feature is there for those like yourself that prefer the warmer option, rather than Apple calibrating the entire line for more of a “real paper white” rather than “cool icey white”.

17. aevan, Sep 23, 2017

aevan macrumors 68030

aevan

It's not that true tone is "warmer", it's more like that regular LCDs are cooler. You may prefer cooler screens, but TT screens have the more "natural" whites. Surfaces reflect light, and it's most noticeable on white surfaces - so if the space you're in is filled with warm light (say, regular lamps) - white surfaces will be warm too. If you're in a room with cooler halogen lights, white surfaces will be cold. How we see these surfaces depends on the light sources that allow us to see.

Since screens emit light themselves, their colors are independant from light sources around us. True Tone fixes this, simulating a more natural experience. Saying True Tone looks sallow is like saying paper or white walls in a room look sallow (although, it's perfectly fine to prefer a less natural look, of course - it's a matter of taste)

But, again, True Tone is not "warmer" it's "more natural". I think people are just used to the old way LCDs looked.

--- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Calibration would imply a fixed setting. True Tone adjusts the white point dynamically. If you're in a room with cool lights, the whites on a TT display will be cool too - so it's not a "warmer" option. It's just how white surfaces look in the room you're in.

18. oplix Suspended

oplix

Has autofocus improved at all since the 6S? Comparisons were filmed against the S7 and it was embarrassing for iphone

19. Puddled macrumors 6502a

Puddled