Bought an "Open Box" iMac from Best Buy, one little thing bothering me...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeTheVike, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

If you click on "Macintosh HD" icon, the window pops up. In the left column under "PLACES", there is a house icon. Next to it it says "bestbuy". How do I change that? I tried reinstalling OSX and that didn't work. I also went into my System Preferences and their is not an account called bestbuy. Thanks for any help!

2. Counted Out macrumors member

Weird, that went away on mine after I had the OSX reinstalled (it didn't say BestBuy, it said the old owners name).

I had the Apple Store do my reinstall though, they'll do it for free.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

How did you reinstall the OS? An "erase and restore" saves settings. Boot from the Leopard disk, erase the hard drive completely with Disk Utility, then install afresh.

4. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I would suggest this article Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options if you don't have any data yet on the iMac that you need to keep. Scroll down to the 'Erase and Install' section.

I have, on 10.4.x tried the Apple process described in the article that spinne1 suggested. I probably did something wrong in the process.....and I had permissions issues that were bothersome. It's been awhile ago, don't remember all the details.....so maybe just keep article HT1545 in mind if something doesn't go as expected up from following the HT1428 article.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Give this a try:
    delete the file ~/library/preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist
    and then log out and then back in

6. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

I gave this a try, It worked, but all my settings were gone, and a couple other things were flaky. I decided just to erase and reinstall OSX. Thanks everyone!

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Always the best thing to do when you get a computer that was used by someone else, never know what other things were screwed with.

8. JD92, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013