Bought AppleCare days past warranty - am I covered?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vwfloydmac, Jun 4, 2012.

1. vwfloydmac, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

vwfloydmac macrumors newbie

[ graphic designer / MacBook Pro ]

I was really busy with freelance work this week and kept getting the prompt down my screen that I had to force shut down my computer. A friend told me it was probably b/c the machine was getting too hot. This weekend, it happened several times and froze a bunch, too. I searched my email and found the email from Apple about AppleCare, clicked through, and purchase it (just in case). Then, hours later, my computer goes blue and won't turn on (no sound or screen action). I'm freaking but also so grateful that I had just bought the AppleCare! I noticed it says you have to register before you are covered, so when I signed in, sure enough it says I am passed my warranty date (by a matter of days).

Question: If I was able to purchase AppleCare via the link sent to my account, does that mean I HAVE AppleCare... even if it was a few days past the warranty? Or, is there a chance I'll get the box in the mail and not be able to register it?

I remember the last time I got AppleCare I did so a few days after the warranty end-date (can't remember why), so I know it's possible. Just want to know if my purchasing AppleCare equates to actually getting coverage. If so, I can breathe easy til I receive it tomorrow!

Thanks so much for the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

If it's no longer in warranty, you can't buy AppleCare, but it wouldn't hurt to talk to Apple to see if they'll make an exception, as they've been known to do so occasionally.

3. vwfloydmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response!

Unfortunately, that link is how I first learned my machine was passed the warranty :/ However, this happened just hours after I was able to buy AppleCare.

My question is simply: if I was able to purchase AppleCare (I have confirmation of order + shipment), does that mean automatically that I have AppleCare? I assume if it wasn't possible to get it, they wouldn't let me buy it, right?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

No, anyone can buy Applecare, even if they don't own a Mac. You may be able to call Apple and plead your case but you may well be out of luck. In any case, nobody but Apple can answer your question.

5. vwfloydmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I had no idea. I've never bought a warranty that was not attached to a product before - weird.

Ok, I've set up an appointment at the Genius Bar. Do you think I'm better off just asking nicely for the AppleCare to go through without mentioning the problem or going in saying my computer's busted?

Funny thing is, I was in there a week and a half ago (still under warranty)about an issue with my screen and I've just been waiting on the new part to come in. Now, I wonder if it was misdiagnosed and this new issue is related - thus, falling under the original warranty (?)

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The Geniuses can't sort out whether or not you can get this Applecare added to your computer, you'll need to call Apple directly for this.
    You may be covered then since you opened this case prior to the warranty expiring, but this does not affect Applecare eligibility. Call Applecare, and don't wait to do it.

7. vwfloydmac thread starter macrumors newbie

UPDATE: For everyone's reference (and for anyone else who comes across this thread with the same inquiry, I'm happy to say that Apple was very gracious in registering my AppleCare. As previously noted, it was only six days passed the warranty's expiry date and the issue turned out to be a huge one - ended up with a new logic board, both RAMS were replaced, as well as the hard drive, the power button, monitor, and body casing. It was kind of a disaster, actually. They said the issue was a "kernel panic," and I have a feeling they weren't totally surprised by it. They were like, "using Adobe programs? 15" MacBook Pro? Yeah, kernel panic."

@chrfr - I actually don't think the screen issue and the RAM issue were related. But, apparently the store received my new screen and never called me to let me know, so to appease the situation, they just lumped all issues, past and present, together for the sake of my convenience. So, the warranty was employed, afterall! I'm still happy to have AppleCare though, for the next two years. I never want to feel that panic as I felt the day my computer crapped the bed.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend to anyone who encounters a major breakdown of their hardware within two weeks or so past their warranty to speak to Apple before you write it off. Besides the strangely numerous 'technical difficulties' they had on their end while registering the coverage, the experience was actually pretty painless. +1 for Apple, I'd say!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks for the update! I'm very glad it worked out so well for you!