Bought AppleCare+ for my sister, but it's under MY Apple ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RolandNights, Feb 11, 2012.

1. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out to tell if my sister's phone is actually covered by AppleCare+. She has already registered the phone's serial number with her Apple ID. For the record, I don't own an iPhone at all.

Anyway, since she didn't get AC+ at the time of purchase, we went down to the Apple Store to purchase it. The receipt it lists my name and Apple ID under the repair ID. For clarification, does that mean the AC+ is under MY name? If it is, is there any way I can transfer it to her?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

AC and AC+ is tied to the serial number of the phone. That's all that matters.

3. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, just making sure. I guess I have to just give it time to reflect on under her Apple profile. Thanks!

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

2 days ago I had the exact same problem.

I bought iPhone 4S with AppleCare+ under my Apple ID account that has NOTHING purchased on the iTunes App Store.

All my apps and stuff are on my other Apple ID account.

I called Apple Support and they say the AppleCare+ Warranty is tied to the serial number and hardware, not account.

I also received a letter from apple which addresses my name and home address for the AppleCare, no mention of AppleID used to purchase the phone and warranty.

So in conclusion, AppleCare is tied to hardware/serial number.

5. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phew, thanks for the further clarification. One last thing, if my sister needs to bring it in for repair, I don't have to be there or anything, right? I'm moving in a few months, so I just want to make sure.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Nope, she would just take the phone in. As posted above it's the hardware that is covered. The same applies if you sell an Apple product with AC on it...It follows the machine, not the individual.

7. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

All she needs is her iPhone and Serial number.

The serial number is on the bottom of the iPhone box or the iPhone itself (I think it's on the back of the iPhone, but I'm not sure since I put a Speck Case on it since day 0.)

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Settings>general>about will bring up that info.

9. RolandNights thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, issue resolved. Thanks for the quick help, guys!