Bought i5 MBP with HE discount but no 3 year warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tom619, Apr 21, 2010.

1. tom619 macrumors member

Hi there,

I ordered a 15" i5 MBP yesterday and it arrived today, everything is great except when i enter the serial number on apple support site techincal support is only available until april 2011.

After scouring these forums i was fairly certain that the 3 year warranty is standard for UK HE purchases made online through your campus' network, and I also read many posts from people who said that theyre coverage was listed as being 3 years from date of purchase, they also received a letter with similar information.

Now am I very wrong or am I checking to soon? Hopefully a fellow HE purchaser can advise me lol

Thanks

2. apatel87 macrumors regular

The 3 year warranty is not standard with a HE purchase. You get a discounted rate for the warranty but that is about it. I have bought 4 Macbooks/ MBPs over the years from the HE store but never was I given a free extended warranty. Just my 2 cents

3. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

Did you get yours in the UK?

4. jwheeler macrumors regular

I'm in the UK and i had to pay £50 (excl VAT) for it

But better than £270 for full price. Thank God i'm going to uni next year. Would not have enjoyed an extra £500. Also thanks to my company for offering to pay half the price excluding VAT (claiming the VAT back)

£850 for a £2500 laptop is not bad going! :D

5. Aboo macrumors 6502a

6. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

Just to be clear im not talking about AppleCare, Im talking about the Higher Education National Agreement, which provides 3 year limited parts and labour warranty and 1 year telephone support as mentioned in section 9.1.1 and 10.1.1 of the T&C's.

7. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was going to say Im 100% certain on this one, but the problem is its not showing up on apple as being correct, people in here have said before that they've checked theirs online and it shows up with 3 year coverage, and they've received paper confirmation of it as well?

8. tfm20 macrumors newbie

Yeah, you should take that up with Apple. Most people seem clueless about the 3 year warranty, even people in the Apple Store.

My 2.5 year old Macbook has had the extended warranty listed on Apple Support since the day I bought it. It may be that the deal doesn't exist any more, but if they haven't updated the terms and conditions on the website then I'm pretty sure you're still entitled to it!

9. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

Yours has shown up online since day one? I'll give them a call tomorrow only thing is whenever you call them no one ever has a clue what your talking about when referrring to the 3 year he thing.

10. apatel87 macrumors regular

Sorry, no I got mine in the US. I dont know if things are different there.

11. katy macrumors member

Just checked my serial of my yet to receive macbook pro 13" and it also just says one year. Hmmm

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

I called apple about this 2 months ago and it is the case that you get three years parts and labour included for free.

I usually pay the extra money though (at least I have done on the last 5 mac i bought)

13. iguigy macrumors member

Hate to say this but...

I bought my 21.5 iMac in Dec through HE and had to purchase extended Apple care on top of the computer. (I'm in the UK). It was there at the bottom of the page to add to the basket, along with the rest of the order, so I highly doubt they actually offer it for free.

What Apple does with HE Apple care is give a huge discount when purchased with the Mac. I have never read anything on their website in recent years about it being free.

Sorry.

14. willtj macrumors newbie

Ive spoke to many people about this previously so should be able to help you. Ignore people that tell you there is know such agreement

Firstly you DO get 3 years parts and labour coverage included for free form the uk HE store. This is not the same as applecare.

All the information is on this website: http://appleagreement.procureweb.ac.uk/Background.aspx

Secondly. If you phone apple and talk to them about it and they have no knowledge of this warranty cover, hang up and try phoning again, eventually you will get through to someone who does. The first woman I spoke to was based in Ireland and was adamant there was no such thing and that she should know as she has worked there for the last 7 years or something. She became very rude about it.

So dont let them tell you its not a real thing. On my third try someone based in america knew all about it and confirmed to me that my macbook pro did have this cover, and that is a custom agreement and as such isnt automatically reflected on the serial number check on apple website. But as it says that it was purchased through the HE store on my order this is good enough.

However I wanted the warranty status to show three years so I found a contact from the website mentioned earlier and emailed him.

I emailed: Kevin Duncan
    Bids & Contracts Manager
    duncan.k@euro.apple.com

Im not including the emails that i sent to him but here are his responses:

"
    I am working with our AppleCare team to investigate this matter for you and their initial response is that your MacBook Pro should indeed have the 3 year HE Agreement warranty.

They are looking into this further to understand why this is not currently reflected within our systems and I will confirm their findings shortly.

Kind regards,

Kevin
    "

"
    I'm not sure until I hear back from my colleagues in AppleCare, but hopefully not too long.

In the mean time your MacBook Pro is of course covered by the initial 1 year warranty and I can confirm that our systems will be updated to include the 3 year HE warranty as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

Kevin
    "

Eventully after a couple of reminders to him the system was updated to show a custom agreement with 3 years parts and labour warranty. It did take about 3 weeks for it to be showing on the system from when i emailed originally.

Hope this helps
    Andy

15. mike... macrumors member

Soon after (mine was a month after) you get your MacBook you should get an email from Apple confirming the extra warranty. Mine said:

Ignore the people who say you don't get this - you do, but it may not show up on the website. Mine didn't show up until the one year warranty ended. But as above you just need to ring them and they'll correct it.

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You AppleCare you purchased through the HE store gives you an upgrade for the phone support to the full three years.

17. mike... macrumors member

Yeah this is a little trick Apple seem to like playing. They make it sound like AppleCare is the three year warranty, but it isn't. The warranty is standard anyway. I'm glad I never paid for AppleCare.

18. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

its been a week and the info is still the same, 1 year telephone and 1 year technical, im going to call them this week, does anyone have the right number for uk higher education?

19. tom619 thread starter macrumors member

Willtj, can you tell me when you went through the process
    of getting your warranty status corrected, as I'm going to email the employee you mentioned and hopefully he still works there lol thanks