Bought iphone 3G at ATT, Defective, Can I Return to Apple Store or Have to be ATT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sleepyyet, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Sleepyyet macrumors member

Hey all, I purchased a black 16gb iphone 3G on launch day at an ATT store. The screen is defective. With the concurrent shortage and limited supplies of the iphone at ATT stores and as such, Apple stores, do I have to return the phone for an exchange at an ATT store? With supply and demand being an issue, the Apple Store would be my safest and most secured chance of actually exchanging one since ATT is only dealing with DF's at this point. Thanks in advance.

2. aljlin macrumors regular

I would predict that because you are within the return period, you can probably get them to exchange the phone at the ATT store (or rather since they probably don't have one in stock, have them order you another one .. or something like that), but since it can also be viewed as a warranty problem, you can also go to the apple store and see what they can do to fix it.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I thought I read somewhere (here on MR) that Apple won't honour the warranty on the iPhone if bought at the ATT store. Is this true?

BL.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

That makes no sense, it's still an apple product covered under warranty.

5. MazingerZ macrumors 6502

MazingerZ

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You have to take it to Apple since they provide the warranty support.

Here is the link to the Apple page that discusses the service process. It cleary states that AT&T does not provide warranty service.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#repair2

You can make an appointment at an Apple Store. If they determine that the iPhone has a hardware issue requiring service, you will receive an immediate replacement. Here is the link to make a reservation.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

within the first 30 days, you could take it to AT&T store to get your phone exchanged. After 30, you take it to Apple.

Of course you could take it to Apple at any time for any service.

8. bielen macrumors regular

I originally purchased my 3G iPhone through AT&T Direct Fulfillment. After a problem was discovered, Apple exchange it without any problem at their own store. They didn't even ask for a receipt since its such a new product.