Bought MBP 13 in UK HE Store (online), but purchased AppleCare too.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ijyt, Sep 28, 2009.

1. ijyt macrumors member

While ordering, the page stated I'd only get 1-year warranty on the MacBook, so I bought AppleCare to get the boost to 3-year warranty. However, I now found out that HE Store purchases get the 3-year warranty anyway (sans phone support, but that doesn't matter).

Am I able to cancel the AppleCare service when my MacBook Pro arrives and have my £46 refunded?
    Can I cancel it before it's shipped?

Is the AppleCare package this:
    EMEA CC- HE CONTRACT UPLIFT MACBOOK-INT

Which for some reason shows as £40, not £46.

2. marginaljustice macrumors newbie

When I bought my iMac with AppleCare, there was no box that was shipped as one would buy in retail stores. Instead, the AppleCare plan was attached to the iMac serial number automatically. I'm not certain if they refund them, but if you phone Apple and be reasonable with them, they may reverse the charge since the machine it's attached to hasn't even left their hands! Good luck!

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Yeah point out that the additional coverage provided by the HE store is buried ridiculously deep in their website :mad:

4. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

Is the highlighted item in the attached image the additional AppleCare? If so, I can still cancel it, as I only ordered about 40 minutes ago.

Attached Files:

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I am sure in the england at least, ALL online purchases have to have a fourteen day cooling off period so yeah cancel it. However I did not get the applecare with mine at the time and wish I had, simply because if i sell it later when i want to upgrade applecare adds value - certainly more than £46 and many people wont understand the HE applecare scheme

6. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

I highly doubt I'll be selling it within 3 years anyway, I'm quite sentimental with my tech. :p

But if you're sure the Contract Uplift (which I assume is adding just phone support, and won't remove anything else) is the AppleCare I bought, I'll remove it. Use it for a RAM upgrade or external HDD instead. :D

7. jamin100 macrumors 6502

If you do get it and its boxed applecare (ie comes in a box) I'll buy it off you for £50 :) :)

8. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably cancelled it. I'm just trying to get confirmation from someone here that "EMEA CC- HE CONTRACT UPLIFT MACBOOK-INT " is definitely what I want to cancel from my order.

If I had been ordering it though, with the knowledge it'd be boxed, I'd have probably sold it to you. I know I could get more but meh. :p

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

I bought Applecare with my MBP in late 08 through the HE store. Had no idea it was already provided (if it was then) but it came in a padded envelope and pre-registered (when purchased) to my MBP.

10. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

Any chance of remembering what the AppleCare was named in the Order Status page?

11. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Erm isn't that the HE upgrade?

Applecare when bought at the time is pre registered to the machine so could not be sold on, it says so on their own site

12. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Yeah, when you purchase AppleCare and a new Mac together, Apple automatically pre-registers the plan with the computer.

13. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

I'll make another order, without ticking AppleCare, see if it shows up.

Edit:

Without selecting AppleCare, it doesn't show up in the basket. So I'm guessing that IS the AppleCare (aka phone support, pfft) that I'm paying £46 for.

So I'm guessing it's safe to cancel that?

14. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Is this a UK-only thing? Because the terms on the norwegian edu-store specify a 1 year warranty included.

15. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

It might be country specific, but I know some countries in West Europe have the same 3-year thing.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Open a chat window with one of the store experts (in the UK store at least you can do this once you've added something to your basket) and ask. This is what I did when I got confused.

In the UK store it still says a year warranty but when you ask they confirm you have something like 3 years of free labour and parts. If you look deep into the Higher Education page of the UK site you find the part where it details the 3 year warranty.

17. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

18. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The Applecare also makes it easy to get your battery replaced within the 3 years if necessary. Considering it is an internal battery and there is a charge for replacing it, I would say it is worth it. It also means that Apple will offer to uplift the computer for repair rather than you having to take it to an Apple store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (which there might not be any of in your area).

I would definitely stick with the Applecare if I were you. For £40 it is a great deal.

Nevertheless, if you are insistent on cancelling it, it is the object you highlighted in the order.

19. GreyMatta macrumors regular

What you have purchased is the phone support upgrade for the full 3 years instead of the complimentary 90 days

UK HE purchases come with a custom Apple Care which does not include the phone support so the upgrade is just a top up to take it to a full normal Apple Care

and its only £40 :)

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is the HE 3-year warranty worldwide? Or is it just valid in the UK? I know AppleCare is valid wherever Apple computers are sold.

21. ijyt thread starter macrumors member

Cancelled it. I have an Apple Store within 20 minutes of me by foot, so no biggy.