Bought MBP from craiglist anyway to transfer iLife to other drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kage777, Mar 30, 2012.

1. kage777 macrumors newbie

Hi,

So I recently bought a used MBP off of craigslist that has ilife 11 on it. My current hard drive is bigger than the one in the new machine so i was just going to drop my current drive in the new machine, but would like the new iLife. Is there anyway to transfer the programs?

When I go onto the Mac App store on the new computer it asks if I want to redeem the iLife apps so that I can get the updates, but they are associated with the previous owners itunes account, so i can't just redownload them.

Could I just copy the programs from the applications folder to the other hard drive? But then what about the updates?

any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless the previous owner gave you the iLife DVD or his Apple ID you don't own the software.

Also you should really format the drive and re-install OS X.

3. kage777 thread starter macrumors newbie

who owns the ilife then? if it came with the computer and he sold me the computer? wouldn't that include the software that was bundled with it?

4. blueroom, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

No. Unless the seller included the iLife DVD or the iTunes account with the purchase he still owns the software.

The first thing you should do with a used computer is wipe the drive and start from scratch. You've got all the previous owners crap on it.

On the other hand the seller should have wiped it clean when they sold it to you. Contact the seller and ask for their Keychain password. :)

PS are the two machines identical? Swapping your HDD if the machines are different will probably cause kernel panics if it even boots.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Not sure what you mean here - I've swapped HDD between machines with no problems.