Bought my MacBook 1 year and 6 days ago...warranty screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spetsnazos, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

I have a bunch of dead pixels on my screen and I'd like to see if apple would help out here. I had my laptop for about 1 year and 6 days . Would they still honor the warranty or am I wasting time?

Going to try and show up at the Genius Bar tonight.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks as always

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I won't say yes, because the odds are they won't but you never know. Its close enough to warranty expiration you may get lucky.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

what happened to the year before the warranty expired? we're the dead pixels not there then?

4. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

I just noticed it like last month. It developed on it's own

5. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

any way to check when your warranty expires? is it date of purchase ?

6. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

7. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

wow it must be a bit later haha, thanks man!

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
    Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
    Estimated Expiration Date: November 18, 2013

Looks like I'm still covered!!

Hopefully Apple replaces my screen or provides some kind of fix.

8. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Never had a problem with Apple fixing things for free that are 4 years from date of purchase. YMMV though.

New logic board and power supply in my iMac that was 4 years old, replaced my iPhone 4S that was 18 months old, replaced a trackpad in a 3 year old MBP.

9. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

I believe Apple bases the warranty start on the date of delivery. not ordering. If you ordered online, that would explain the few extra days.

You can also buy AppleCare before the 18th if you want to invest in keeping this computer for 2 more years...

10. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

I intend to keep the laptop, do you think the warranty is worth it?

It says its only $350

11. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If you have any non-accident caused failures in the next two years that would cost more then $350, it's worth it. Screen replacement: ~$600; Logic board replacement: ~$800...

From the price, I'm guessing you have a 15". Lots of people with 2011 15" are starting to have dGPU failures that require a logic board replacement. This has happened with older models as well. It could be a weakness in the 2012 models, but it's hard to know.

If you have a classic MBP, there seem to be frequent failures of the hard drive and hard drive cable.

If you think you want to replace it within the next two years for performance reasons, and if it fails on you in that time you have the money and desire to just replace it, then AppleCare isn't worth it. If you really want to keep it for 2 more years and are worried it'll have other problems, then AppleCare is probably worth it, especially if you know you won't need to replace it for performance reasons.

12. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

Dropped it off they said they'll take care of it with a new screen replacement. Bought applecare while I was there just for future protection.

The tech told me that what I have is "within spec" but he'll take care of me.

I'm really glad he could help and he's awesome but there's no way this can be within spec, it was about a half inch blotch on the screen! Apple must be really loose in their definition of within spec.