Bought my new MBP from Apple w/ an Amex card, warranty question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by euphuistical, Nov 6, 2009.

1. euphuistical macrumors member

American Express doubles your warranty when you buy a product, so I have a default of a 2 year warranty on my MBP, but what if I want to get it for longer? Is applecare going to go into effect before the extra amex warranty is up, ie, only giving me 3 years instead of an extra year of warranty protection?

Anyone have experience with this?

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Generally they only double the original manufacturer's factory warranty. So you would get two years coverage from using the card.

Call them and ask about damage protection and theft too. Mine covers some things Apple doesn't.

As far as I know Apple care for 3 years total is the best you unless you buy at Best Buy. Best Buy's extended warranty can be renewed.

3. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I had this very same question, since AppleCare has to be bought in within the first year of ownership and they basically said that once AppleCare runs out, thats when their extra year of coverage goes into effect. So in short you'd get a total of 4 years.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Gonna have to call my card company. I was told different...but AMEX may have different policies.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Just go to the American Express website. American Express will cover items up to one additional year of the manufacturer's warranty of 5-years or less.

Apple Care does not qualify. If you buy Apple Care, American Express' warranty will do nothing for you.

6. OrangesOfCourse macrumors member

Amex will double your warranty up to 1 year.

Following will happen:

MBP (1 year warranty) + no apple care + amex warranty = 2 years warranty.
    MBP (1 year warranty) + apple care + amex warranty = 4 years warranty.

You will go through apple for the apple care warranty and amex for your amex warranty. Amex will reimburse you for your repair costs.

I'm currently using amex to get my mbp repaired. :)