Bought new Ext HDD, Want to organise iTunes MP3's now

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vim147, Mar 3, 2013.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

I just bought a 500GB external hard drive.

I have about 300 music albums (mp3) on my internal hard drive which i want to transfer all to the external drive which i will also use with my windows laptop when am travelling.

Just not sure on how i should transfer them. I know the easiest way would be just to drag the files over but i want to do it neatly.

I will use itunes as my player and will tidy up the ID3 as some mp3's are all over the place.

1. How/what format should i format the new drive so that it'll work on windows.

2. Should i create the itunes library folder on the external drive first ?

3. After i have transfered all to an itunes library folder on external, am i safe enough to delete the music i have on internal as i need the space ?

4. Are the files in the itunes library the same format as mp3 so that i can copy to USB and play in my car ?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you want the HDD to work between Windows and OS X, you'll need to format it as FAT or NTFS.

Then follow this Apple guide on moving your iTunes library to the HDD. It works, I just did it a few months ago.

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder

Once you transfer all the media over, following the guide, you can delete the old media folder, but don't empty the trash until you're confident that everything is moved to the new HDD and working the way you want it.

3. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Abit confused, the files are currently on internal drive.

Do i create an itunes library folder on external then add onto itunes from the internal drive then export onto external ?

----------

Also, Is there a way to export a excel or similar of the names of the albums i have on itunes so i can have a list of them ?

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you follow the directions on the Apple support page I liked to, it walks you through he process. Basically, you create a media folder on the external HDD and then point iTunes to it and then copy over the existing folder to the new one.