Bought new iMac. iTunes recognizes iPhone, but all songs are grey and lock. Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by i make movies, Dec 18, 2009.

1. i make movies macrumors regular

I bought a new iMac. When I plug my iPhone into the iMac, iTunes recognizes the iPhone, but I can't add or delete song or anything for that matter. I'm signed into iTunes and everything.

I can transfer purchases from the iPhone, which is odd. But I want to edit my playlists and delete some stuff.

My old computer the iPhone was linked to is an iBook G4. Is there something I have to do on that computer?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You have to transfer your iTunes folder over with all your music/apps/videos ect. Otherwise right now you have none of that stuff and all your phone will do is create a backup, if not erase all apps and music on there because they are not being recognized by the actual iTunes library.

3. i make movies thread starter macrumors regular

I did that already. I brought over my entire itunes library to my new iMac. I have the exact same library from my old iBook g4 on my new iMac. When I plug in the iPhone, it pops up under "Devices", I can see my Playlists and songs and media, but I cannot add/delete tracks from playlists. All text labels are light grey. edit anything. I can't play songs from my iPhone on iTunes.

It's weird. I'm almost certain that I need to change some setting either in iTunes or on my iPhone saying my new iMac is the master computer for my iPhone (not my old g4 anymore), but I can't find any settings option in either iTunes or my iPhone to suggest that.

4. iphonecrazyful macrumors member

Have you authorized your new iMac? I think if you want to use songs on a different computer from which they were bought on you need to authorize that computer.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Could it be that you need to sync your music manually? WHen syncing it manually it gives you the ability to play it off the iPhone and not the computer. That is when you can edit playlists.

On device menu, click manually manage music and videos. That should fix it. I think..

6. apc0243 macrumors newbie

apc0243

I bet Mlrollin91 is right. It sounds like you have to check "Manually Sync Songs" under the Music tab of your iPhone device.

7. i make movies thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, y'all are right. I checked the "manually manage songs and video", but a warning pops up when I apply changes. It says my iPhone can only be synced to one computer (duh!). If I sync it to my new iMac i will format my iPhone.

Now, my big question before I embark on this endeavor is will is completely format my iPhone, i.e. my contacts and apps? I don't care about the music because I imported my entire library over (3500 sings...yikes!) so losing my music won't be a big deal, but losing my apps and contacts will SUCK!!

I have backed up my apps and contacts on my old laptop, so worst case scenario I have them. I still don't know how I would get them back if I lose them, but that's another can o' beans I'll open once I'm hungry.

Thanks for all the help.

8. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

You could transfer your contacts and if you authorise the iMac it should transfer the apps. You could always re download the apps again or transfer them.

9. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Haha, how did 4 other people give ridiculously wrong answers before you gave this little nugget of information . Why did they even give their clueless answers when they have no idea.

10. mattaroon macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, I have backed up my iphone but just wanted to know 'I make movies' if when you went through with it, did it indeed wipe you phone? Cus although Ive done a back up I'd rather this didnt happen.
    thanks