Bought the 32GB Wifi only....now thinking that I should have gotten 3g?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mojer, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Mojer macrumors member

I am perfectly fine with wifi most of the time. I bought wifi only because I also have a smartphone which can accomplish most of the things that the ipad can do when I am away from wifi. Now that I am spoiled by the ipad I kind of wish that I spent a few extra $$$ to get the Verizon 3g one. So what are my options now? I have had the ipad for two weeks. I am guessing that returning it is out of the question. However, I am reading about a mifi device which costs $50 from VZ (which is cheaper than the amount of the upgrade to the wifi/3g model). Is this the better route (especially since the Mifi will allow me to run a total of 5 devices)? How well do these devices work compared to buying an ipad with 3g included? Thanks for any input...

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Most smartphones allow you to tether in a way. They create a WiFi access point and through that, you can connect any WiFi device. Most carriers have a pricetag attached to it, but it's also a non-contract feature. You can cancel anytime, unlike MyFi services. There are also ways around it.

3. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

I have a Droid Incredible which I do not think that I can teather the ipad to.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

The return policy is 14 days, so check your receipt or head down there today, you may still be able to exchange it.

As for the mifi, yes verizon does have one, I have the samsung LTE one myself ($45 a month for 5gb after student discount). It works well enough, but I also ended up exchanging my wifi iPad for the 3g model because of the mifi's limited battery compared to the iPad. Every time I wanted to use the Internet on the iPad, I would have to pull out the mifi, power it up, wait until it connected, then unlock my iPad and wait for it to connect to the mifi, then when I was done I would have to remember to turn off the mifi, if I didnt it would run out of battery and get extremely hot in my pocket. The built in 3G just makes it so much easier use, so if you can I recommend that.

5. Meanee macrumors 6502a

You can root it and install app from a market called WiFi Tether. And that's it. Check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635 for more info on rooting.

6. Mojer thread starter macrumors member

7. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

As a 32 GB WiFi only owner let me at least offer the possible suggestion of just sticking with it. You sound like you're not often inconvenienced by the lack of 3G for your iPad, which is the boat I'm in.

Be happy with the WiFi version, and enjoy the savings. Lower hardware costs, no ongoing Verizon payments.

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It depends on your Verizon data plan. If you are on Unlimited, it won't affect you. If you are on 5gb or whatever, it will take it out of that "bucket"

9. kalex macrumors 65816

If you do this there are no extra charges. if you insist on paying for it u can add hotspot to your droid increadable and then use it as a wifi hotspot to connect your ipad to it.