Bought used 4s - is this battery normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schooleydoo, Oct 13, 2012.

1. schooleydoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

Long time lurger, first time poster looking for advice on my battery:

[​IMG]

I have had the phone a couple of weeks. It is 6 months old and still in warranty.
    iOS6 - most things on, wifi left on even whilst not in use.
    FYI - it was plugged into car charger for about 10 min.

My iPhone 4 seemed to do much better, and my wifes 5 seems better still. Do I have grounds to book a Genius appt and ask for a replacement or have I just been lucky with my other phones?

One curious point that I haven't replicated yet was I turned the phone off at 7% battery. Turned it on an hour later and it refused to turn on, giving me the dead battery animation. Is it normal for it to refuse to boot when it gets lower than 10% or is it draining on its own?

2. Markyboy81 macrumors 6502a

I had a 4s for 7 months and I was getting slightly better battery life than that, but not much better. I did tweak a lot of settings though to get the best out of it.
    The iPhone 4 and 5 do have better battery life than the 4s

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I can tell you what worked for me. The various sections on settings and reset network worked well but when I upgraded to iOS6 the battery was terrible. If I turned the phone off at night with 100% battery, the next morning it would be 10-20% less. I would only get 10 hours of day use as well.

In settings/notifications I went through all the apps to remove as many as I didn't need in notification center. Then the ones that weren't in notification center (I had a long list) I went into each item and made sure all the items were switched to off, most were on. My battery now lasts about a day and a half and whatever battery percentage my is at when I turn it off at night, is the same when I turn it on in the morning. Someone suggested it for me and it worked so if it works for you great - if not good luck!

4. dasx macrumors 65816

dasx

I recently sold my 4S which was 10 months old. Battery was probably a little bit better than that but still a lot worse than the first 3 months of life of the device.

5. schooleydoo thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice Ben, the above stats are after switching off all un-required notifications. My battery life has more than doubled!