Bought used iMac with OSX Lion. Want to put Lion on my Snow Leopard Macbook! HELP!

emanbb6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
So I've had a macbook pro with snow leopard on it. I purchased a used iMac that already had lion installed. My Apple ID is logged in and everything but when i try to download lion onto my Macbook it asks me to pay the $29.99. Is there a way around this? I don't think i should technically have to pay since i "paid" to have Lion on the iMac. any suggestions?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I've had a macbook pro with snow leopard on it. I purchased a used iMac that already had lion installed. My Apple ID is logged in and everything but when i try to download lion onto my Macbook it asks me to pay the $29.99. Is there a way around this? I don't think i should technically have to pay since i "paid" to have Lion on the iMac. any suggestions?
No, you have to pay for Lion. If you buy Lion, you can install it on any Mac you own. The same is not true for Macs that come with Lion preinstalled.

OS X Lion: How to install Lion on multiple computers
If I buy a new MacBook Pro with Mac OS X Lion preinstalled, can I install it on my old MacBook too?

Comment

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
But you didn't pay for Lion, you bought a used iMac with Lion on it. It's the same for people who buy a NEW mac with Lion pre-installed, it cannot be downloaded onto other Mac's. If you BUY Lion then you can download it to all your machines.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.