Bought used iPhone 5 off CL, will Apple issue me a refurb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

The bottom screws have been opened, I can tell since there is some wear. My touch screen is slightly unresponsive and I'm a little paranoid the previous owner replaced the screen. Either way the phone is simply a "loaner" until I get the 6 next year.

If a Genius checks the phone out since it is still under warranty until next week, is it possible that they will replace the phone or fix it for free?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If something is defective with the phone and its under warranty then they'll replace it.

Given that there' missing screws, Apple may state that its damage brought on by opening the phone and not defective components, i.e., you're out of luck

3. user-name-here, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

user-name-here macrumors 65816

Edit: Ignore this, sore subject for me that I shouldn't have gotten involved in to begin with. My apologies.

4. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Not missing, there is simply wear on the screws as if they have been turned.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If the screen was replaced by the previous owner then the warranty is void, the best you might get is being able to do an out of warranty replacement which I think is around $150, maybe more for the 5.

6. aka777 macrumors 6502a

Rule #1: Never ever buy a phone off craigslist...

It's a haven for sellers with Zero accountability but a minefield for buyers. The opposite can be said for ebay, where you have buyers protection for 45 days.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If there's any evidence of tampering then they may not be so inclined to replace it. So the screws may not be missing but if it shows wear and tear from unscrewing then you may not have a warranty.

8. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

IMO, sell it and buy another one that's not tampered. You definitely risk your warranty in this case.

9. rockitdog Suspended

LOL @ the OP! Gotta love these people who are holding out for something that doesn't exist. A years wait really isn't a loaner! Didn't you try the phone before you purchased it??? FYI, Technically the 5S doesn't exist yet either. :D

10. cynics macrumors G3

How much did you pay?

Just get an out of warranty replacement for 150-200 (whatever it is) and enjoy a like new refurb until the 6 is released.

11. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes it works fine and beautifully. To be honest, much of it is probably my paranoia. I got such a good deal ($450 for 64GB) that I can't see myself losing much money when I sell it next year. In fact Apple gives a trade-in value of $400 for it and trade-ins are usually the worst values.

12. rockitdog Suspended

If you do, the best thing to do it meet at an Apple store and ask them to run a diagnostic on it to make sure its under warranty and not been reported stolen. If someone agrees to do this, they are most likely a legit seller.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hmmm.

Phones that appear to have been opened will not be replaced under warranty but it seems your assessment of the phone has changed so this thread seems pointless.

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is a post here that says the Genius refused warranty because they noticed fingerprints once they opened it. I believe warranty and any AppleCare is now nil.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

if the screen was replaced third party, no. They won't touch it.

If it is not tampered with and there is something wrong, sure.

----------

If the device is tampered with all service options paid or otherwise are void.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only way you will know is if you bring it in for warranty work.
    They might let you slide or they might void the warranty completely.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

AC doesn't cover user tampering.....only manu defects

Seems you are out of luck

18. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not trying to "screw" Apple or take advantage of them. Just wondering what my options were since the device is still under warranty until 9/26/2013 (I looked up the serial on Apple's website).

If they can take a look, great. If not, I am gonna use this phone happily until the 6. When I meant the phone is slightly unresponsive, I'm not sure if it is just the placebo effect or me being paranoid. It might just be a software bug. For example when I get an iMessage in lock screen, sometimes I can't unlock it right when I get the message. It takes me a few swipes. But if I hit the sleep wake button and then try to unlock it, I can swipe easily.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sounds like a software bug.
    I'd restore and setup as new.