BOY, 6, SUSPENDED FOR PLAYING WITH IMAGINARY BOW AND ARROW

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Nov 6, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://abc13.com/education/boy-6-suspended-over-imaginary-bow-and-arrow/1069386/

zero tolerance = zero common sense.

[​IMG]

2. chown33 macrumors 604

If this keeps up, kids won't even be able to pretend to knap imaginary flint.

Then it's the imaginary bearskins, and make-believe campfires.

And without campfires, how could we authentically sing "Kumbaya"?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If that were my kid, I'd send him to school with a Pop-Tart.

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Imaginary Bow and Arrow = Bad = Suspension

but Johnny, it's okay to get high on Marijuana so when you get a little older.....

Oh, and if you really feel you're a girl on the "inside" you can take your cock and balls into the girls dressing room. We're fighting for you on those last two.

- your parents.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

School has to act quick and stamp out their imagination before they grow up and become rednecks.

One day you are shooting your friends with imaginary bows and arrows.

15 years later, after the several 12-packs, they are sitting on the front porch and suddenly have an idea ... that leads to injuries and a 4x4 stuck on top of a circle-k.

Stop imagination, before beer makes it dangerous.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Oh, lord. That's ridiculous. My son, wife and I were playing "ninjas" with plastic swords from Halloween and a yard-stick (which makes an excellent nodachi) and I've considered buying him a Nerf 'bow and arrow' set. (And, if I do, I'm buying my own Nerf artillery in case he gets uppity.)

Kids play with the idea of weapons and heroics.

I don't want to say it's natural, but it's inherent to our culture and kids shouldn't be punished for playing with ideas.

Now, if a kid manages to cobble together a working bow and arrow and begins hunting his classmates, that's entirely different.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

10. whodatrr, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2015

whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Got called at work one day that one of my sons had been involved in "an incident" involving a toy gun. the administrators said that the school had a zero tolerance for toy guns, and that my 1st grader had brought one to school. I was racking my brain trying to figure out if I'd ever bought him a toy gun. Yeah, dad has guns in safes, but I didn't recall ever buying my kids a toy gun.

Turns out the toy gun was Han Solo's laser pistol, with my boy's Lego Star wars figure. If you're not familiar with lego Star Wars, these are approximately 1" plastic figures, which make the "gun" about 1/4". And this was the toy gun that prompted the school administration to call the parent at work.

[​IMG]

True story that happened in Texas.

11. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

This...has to be a joke right?
    Children will play, they will pretend.

Suppressing their ability to express their imagination in play, can ruin creative development.
    Children may learn to think within the box, rather than be willing to explore unconventional ideas, as they may learn that defying the norms is 'wrong'.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've read that some schools have gone so far as to cut out recess entirely, which could lead to much the same conclusion.

13. sim667 macrumors 65816

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it's projection because real weapons are so available.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't know how any parent would deal with that without losing their ****, are these people from another world?

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You make that sound like it's bad and no fun , that sounds like a great time to me.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'd love to know how you handled the situation. I'm not sure I could have kept from laughing in their faces.

18. pdqgp, Nov 7, 2015

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think I seriously would have written a letter to the principle and school board requesting my hourly rate for the time I left my office to deal with such nonsense.

I'd include the following link of a great magic trick for the principle to watch too.

https://i.imgur.com/ywabaFb.webm

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The laugh is on us, they are the ones teaching our kids.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

21. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I find it very sad that this is where the authorities have chosen to draw their line in the sand. Every day you read about some poor primary grade child who has gotten in trouble for nothing. Yet at the high school level, we are still dealing with actual guns and knives on a daily basis.

I'm surprised they don't require us (teachers) to go for mandatory psych evaluations every time we cock a finger to our heads and pull the imaginary trigger because the children are driving us insane. (Crap...I hope I didn't just give anyone an idea!)

22. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Boy oh boy oh boy.

The principal should be sacked for being a complete and utter moron, then retrained as a cowboy.

The face of political correctness may change, but its core idiocy remains the same.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

All work and no play make children bored. Bored children suppress imagination. Less imaginative children end up working standard 9-5 jobs in a cubicle. Thus the likelihood of these children changing the world/challenging the status quo is diminished and the system rolls on.

24. whodatrr, Nov 7, 2015

whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Well, the background here is that these were very good teachers, and I appreciated everything they were doing for my kids. I didn't go ballistic but I did let them know that I thought they were overreacting. We chatted about it for a bit and they discussed being under a zero tolerance policy. They said that kids could bring Lego Star Wars toys with light-sabers, but not guns. I then interjected that the most disturbing scenes in the Star Wars movies involved amputations and decapitations with Light-Sabers, not guns. They then agreed and seemed to explore the possibility of adding light-sabers to the no-go list, at which point I stopped them and diverted that line of thought. No sense adding another thing to the ban list...

Anyhow, liike I said earlier, these were otherwise outstanding educators. So, I put up with the silliness. Other battles to fight.

Still, it is kind of silly. Which of the toys below is banned in elementary school?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You know what this means you should do, right? Buy your kid a Leatherface toy, and let him take it to school first thing.