Boy Scouts Kick Out Entire Church For Refusing To Discriminate Against Gay Scoutmaste

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Apr 21, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Civil rights make strange bed fellows.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/04/21/3428865/boy-scouts-kicks-out-troop/

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Of course they're allowed to do this by law, but it's still effed up. The only thing that can ever hurt them is declining membership and declining funds for being a bunch of bigots.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Hear hear!

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

The truth people hide comes out.

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

all based on gay people are child rapers. of course it never happens with heterosexual I mean have we ever seen such a story? wait I think thats all we have seen. sounds like how the catholic church does it.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm not sure all of the hysteria is based up the mistaken belief that the gay men would be attracted to children. Scouting is during the formidable years of a child's life. Many people, myself included, do not accept the premise that homosexuals are "born gay". Therefore, they would prefer that their children do not look up to these gay men as role models.

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Just because you don't believe the earth is round, doesn't make it flat.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

We can prove the earth is round. We cannot prove that someone is born gay.

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

And you can prove that someone is born heterosexual?

10. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Why not?

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Let me provide you an example… I have a sister who is smoking hot. But I don't try to have sex with her, because it is wrong. I have first cousins who are good looking, but I don't date them because it is wrong. Now if I was ever to be attracted to a man, I'd pass on that thought because it is wrong. See how that works?

They make a choice to have relationships with the same sex. Choices have consequences. One of those consequences is that you can't be a Scoutmaster in this particular area.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

So, you're attracted to your sister?

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I can admit that my sister is a good looking woman, but no, I am not attracted to her in that way because I know it would be WRONG. If I was attracted to someone and then found out that she was my half sister that I didn't know existed, I would of course, no longer be attracted to her because it is WRONG. Simple, isn't it?

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

*resists temptation to draw attention to Southern Dad's user name*

Doh.

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So when did you choose to be attracted to women and be heterosexual?

Difference between your homosexual vs incest example is one doesn't have consequences of birth defects in their kids, etc. There are no consequences to a homosexual couple besides they can't reproduce which doesn't affect anyone else.

16. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

He didn't choose. He's attracted to his sister and other men but just doesn't act on those attractions because it's wrong....

17. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was taught from a young age that boys go out with girls and girls go out with boys. Let's say that I was shown the path that I believe is the right path. Now, if people choose to have relationships with their own sex, so be it but it is a choice.

----------

I've very comfortable in my sexuality. You can try and disparage me but it isn't going to phase me.

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So you believe attraction is taught and you only go out with women because you were told to even if lets say you were attracted to men?

Are you a white supremacist because your parents taught you white people are superior to all races and blacks should be discriminated against?

19. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

As were the vast majority of homosexuals.

20. dec. Suspended

dec.

Haha, here we go again...

It seems like it was just yesterday when I was sitting at home totally bored, so I spontaneously chose to find men attractive. And since I had a great time with choosing stuff, I also decided to choose that I'd feel absolutely no sexual stimulation when looking at women. And later that day I chose to have a few drinks.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I'm not trying to disparage you - I'm just repeating what you're saying. Sounds kind of ridiculous when someone else is saying it, doesn't it?

And as comfortable as you are in your sexuality, I'm comfortable in mine. And while you may have chosen to ignore the attraction to your sister and to other men and chosen to only sleep with available women, my sexuality is a bit more simple. I've never had to make those choices. I am what I am.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Thinking about it from that standpoint, yes. I've never been attracted to men, because I was always told that was wrong. Reversing the question… Why are you attracted to the sex that you are attracted too?

Apparently, some didn't get the message.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

This comment makes me believe that you are intentionally and consciously denying that sexual orientation is hardwired in order to justify homophobia.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Because one day I found myself attracted to women. At some point my viewpoint went from, " Girls are icky to girls are hot". Not because my parents taught me that was going to happen one day.

25. Southern Dad, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I'm not afraid of homosexuals. I've even got a few gay friends. They love that I'm straight up with them. I don't hide my opinions and we have great discussions. I'm denying that sexual orientation is hardwired because no one can prove that it is.

A friend of mine likes both women and men. Trust me, we've had some great conversations. The odd things is that the few gay people that I know, none of them have been gay their whole lives. One guy has been married THREE times. We tease him a lot about decided that three strikes and it was time to try something different. I certainly can't say that it is a scientific sampling .

----------

I'm sure I went through the girls are icky, but I just don't remember it. In my neighborhood there were so many girls and only a few boys we certainly couldn't have had a "He Man Woman Haters Club" on our block. Quagmire, do you think the example that your parents provided helped to guide you to that opinion?