following:
(1) Attempt to verify the legal status of such person as a citizen
of the United States, an alien lawfully admitted as a permanent
resident, an alien lawfully admitted for a temporary period of time
or as an alien who is present in the United States in violation of
immigration laws. The verification process may include, but shall not
be limited to, questioning the person regarding his or her date and
place of birth, and entry into the United States, and demanding
documentation to indicate his or her legal status.
(2) Notify the person of his or her apparent status as an alien
who is present in the United States in violation of federal
immigration laws and inform him or her that, apart from any criminal
justice proceedings, he or she must either obtain legal status or
leave the United States.
(3) Notify the Attorney General of California and the United
States Immigration and Naturalization Service of the apparent illegal
status and provide any additional information that may be requested
by any other public entity.
(c) Any legislative, administrative, or other action by a city,
county, or other legally authorized local governmental entity with
jurisdictional boundaries, or by a law enforcement agency, to prevent
or limit the cooperation required by subdivision (a) is expressly
prohibited.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=833-851.90

California is a racist state, having such laws like that on the books. I'm going to email my local school district to ensure that all school trips to California are canceled, since we can't ensure the safety of students in California. I'm going to ask my city council to ban all official travel to California in protest.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
California is a racist state, having such laws like that on the books. I'm going to email my local school district to ensure that all school trips to California are canceled, since we can't ensure the safety of students in California. I'm going to ask my city council to ban all official travel to California in protest.
Did you notice that the law specifically requires that the inquiry occur after a lawful arrest. Everyone arrested is booked, and their identity is confirmed. Fingerprints! If someone has no valid ID, and can not verify their identification, law enforcement is required to cooperate with INS, and to attempt to verify identification and whether the person is a legal alien.

Very different from a police officer pulling someone over on a pretextual stop, and then demanding papers because they look Mexican.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I'm going to ask my city council to ban all official travel to California in protest.
Please stop...
• Eating our food.

• Drinking our wine.

• Smoking our dope.​

And please, please, don't travel to California and sullying our great state with your presence.

Tell all your Texas friends.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Please stop...
• Eating our food.

• Drinking our wine.

• Smoking our dope.​

And please, please, don't travel to California and sullying our great state with your presence.

Tell all your Texas friends.
You can keep your $40 Billion in debt as well.:p

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
If your not a legal citizen then you shouldnt be here at all, its pass time the states started doing something since the federal govt is so broken and bought off. Its about time, we are a nation with borders....though we could do as China and just shoot these people?

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Its about time, we are a nation with borders....though we could do as China and just shoot these people?
Do you always choose to do the wrong thing simply because someone else is doing it?

I prefer to do the right thing, because it is the right thing to do.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
...Very different from a police officer pulling someone over on a pretextual stop, and then demanding papers because they look Mexican.
It's interesting how people, who could probably identify the difference between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro blind with one arm tied behind their back, can't discriminate between not-so subtle variations of immigration law.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
If your not a legal citizen then you shouldnt be here at all, its pass time the states started doing something since the federal govt is so broken and bought off. Its about time, we are a nation with borders....though we could do as China and just shoot these people?
Right on brother! Anyone who is reasonably determined to be a non-Native American ought to be summarily shot. They have no business on American soil.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Hey, great, a Seinfeld thread. (You know...it's about nothing.)

Right on brother! Anyone who is reasonably determined to be a non-Native American ought to be summarily shot. They have no business on American soil.
Gee, I was kinda hoping all us white/black/Hispanic/Asian/etc. folks could at least live on reservations..... :eek:

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
Well, here's one Tejano who thinks the OP is being silly. First off, all the law says is for the Staties to do like the Feds are obligated to do.

What's racist about the Border Patrol guys bust of a van load of illegal Polacks at the Sierra Blanca checkpoint on I-10?

How is a law which sez, "Check 'em all, Charley!" racist in any way, shape or form?

Funny-ironic: I had a kid today, working a couple of hours for me. That was after he got off from his full-time job. He's working evenings and weekends, trying to get the money together to get a visa for his mother to come over legally from Mexico. He and his wife are dual-citizenship. He's fighting the legal hassle, legally. Good guy. Honest and hard-working.

You want a Texas guy who'd appreciate that California law? Or the new Aridzony law? Just ask him...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
You missed the point of OP's post.

Well, here's one Tejano who thinks the OP is being silly. First off, all the law says is for the Staties to do like the Feds are obligated to do.

What's racist about the Border Patrol guys bust of a van load of illegal Polacks at the Sierra Blanca checkpoint on I-10?

How is a law which sez, "Check 'em all, Charley!" racist in any way, shape or form?

Funny-ironic: I had a kid today, working a couple of hours for me. That was after he got off from his full-time job. He's working evenings and weekends, trying to get the money together to get a visa for his mother to come over legally from Mexico. He and his wife are dual-citizenship. He's fighting the legal hassle, legally. Good guy. Honest and hard-working.

You want a Texas guy who'd appreciate that California law? Or the new Aridzony law? Just ask him...

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Oh my grits... it's now racist to identify people after an arrest and not believe the name they give you - that's news to me.

mgguy

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Very different from a police officer pulling someone over on a pretextual stop, and then demanding papers because they look Mexican.
Do you support the California law? And would you have less of a problem with the Arizona law if it was implemented so that all individuals cited for a traffic violation or who are determine to have committed a misdemeanor or felony crime, not just those who look Mexican, were asked to show identification papers?

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Good luck finding a Native American to ask.
As a Native American/American Indian, perhaps we should have just shot everyone with what we had..

But no. we were better than that. We offered you friendship and food. My tribe in particular got the Trail of Tears in return. How shallow of us... :rolleyes:

BL.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

I have a problem with those who decry Arizona's SB1070 as a racist law and I also have a problem with people who defend it because SB1070 has serious fundamental flaws and does not follow the Federal law, but rather uses it as a guide to make a piece of problematic legislation that will have significant legal consequences that will either A) create a mandated profiling system or B) allow cops such wide discretion that they will literally and figuratively be asking "papers please" like East German border guards.

It's a bad law. The kid who is working for you won't be helped by a law like SB1070, he'll still have the legal hassle, but now he'll have to explain his citizenship to every cop on the beat who decides he's got enough to warrant legal contact and a moment of your friend's time. And, at best, it will simply mean that those who are in Arizona illegal will avoid the local PD at any cost.
It's a classic version of unintended consequences.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Do you support the California law? And would you have less of a problem with the Arizona law if it was implemented so that all individuals cited for a traffic violation or who are determine to have committed a misdemeanor or felony crime, not just those who look Mexican, were asked to show identification papers?
Most states have cooperate with INS laws. I'm not sure about the "verify citizenship status" requirements post arrest; I don't think my state has it, as I have seen a lot of people released without checking their INS status.

It's a classic version of unintended consequences.
Were they really "unintended" consequences?

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
People who claim those that want to reduce/eliminate illegal immigration are simply 'racist' are idiots unwilling to argue in the arena of ideas... who find it much easier to simply attack others and make baseless claims against their morality. Really sad. Seems the entire Democratic party is doing this to some extent lately. :(

Many states have laws to protect against illegal immigration... the federal government isn't enforcing it's own laws so states are forced to do it on their own. You can argue about implementation, but claiming racism is lazy and ignorant.