BP gets break on dumping in lake

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jul 14, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chicago trib

chicago gets its drinking water from the lake, not terribly far from the industrial nightmare that is NW indiana. i grew up in NW indiana, and as a kid swimming in the lake by the steel mills, i didn't know it was bad that the beach was full of dead fish.

as the article mentions, there's been a massive cleanup of the lake, and i'm rather upset that regulators are allowing this. i'm hoping illinois fights it. i rather like my drinking water.

oh yeah -- all this for 80 jobs? wtf?

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

One problem that comes to mind is that this is sort of the tip of an iceberg. Already, three-fourths of all crude oil is "sour"; the "light, sweet crude" is but one-fourth of world-wide production, now. It looks like this is the future trend of crude oil, generally: Fewer discoveries of the "good stuff".

'Rat

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well stop siphoning off the water from Indiana's shore then!

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Maybe Daley should use his dad's mob ties to send a message to the BP plant.

You're joking, right?:confused:

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It amazes me that IN, which has such a tiny portion of the shoreline, has the ability to disregard the needs of its neighbours.

Isn't there some kind of regional water quality authority? I could have sworn that there was a recent brouhaha about Ontario not doing its share.

6. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

good question. i'll keep an ear out.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

BP is just one of the major players in the Oil Cartel who is so powerful, no one even wants to challenge them anymore. The first really good example we citizens saw was in 1973. Cars were lined-up around the block, waiting for gas. We were told there was a general world shortage (from out of nowhere). Then we learned, there were countless oil tankers sitting off the coast, waiting for the 'faked shortage' double the pump price. The price went up, the tankers came in, and everything was as normal. The shortage 'miraculously' just disappeared like a fart in the wind.

Everybody knew we had been screwed. But, our need-greed for gas, oil, natural gas, and other petroleum products was brought home to us by a heavy-handed slap across the face. The message was clear; it is our football and we are going to be the quarterback.

These jerk-weeds can spin any situation, and do whatever they please. A couple years ago, an oil ship dumped raw sewage into Puget Sound. The coast guard was able (after considerable effort and expense), to track down the ship. The Bush Federal Attorney in Washington State decided it would be too much effort to prosecute the felonious dumping of sewage, walked away, leaving everyone thinking WTF.

Look at how little outcry there was for the huge oil leak in Alaska recently. I bet most people are completely unaware of it. Until we get rid of lobbying and private campaign financing, we will live with a country ruled by criminals.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well... there was.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

just saw on the news....

senator durbin and rep emanuel have sent a letter to the EPA, suggesting the permit be revoked. legal and/or congressional action is being threatened.

10. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Wonderful! However, I wonder why Obama dropped the ball on this?

11. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i wouldn't necessarily read his lack of mention on the news as lack of involvement.