Brüno hillarious or offensive ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by u49aa2, May 28, 2009.

1. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

I was just watching Brüno trailer (due on the 10th of July) I couldn't stop laughing after watching it.

However, as we live in a world where everybody needs to speak in a very politically correct way all the time, do people think the content of this movie is too offensive or is the movie just trying to be funny with good intention and if anything it is shining the light on our sad reality?

This is the link: http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/bruno/

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I second that motion. I think it will be offensive (or as the OP says, offencive) but that will make it millions in the box office and home DVD sales. I just wish my mom would stop quoting Borat all the time. :(

4. u49aa2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

well spotted :cool:

5. magamo macrumors 6502

The link doesn't work for me. But if you're referring to the how-to-defend-yourself-against-a-dildo trailer, I think it's hilarious.

Attached Files:

• 404.png
      404.png
      File size:
      25 KB
      Views:
  6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

7. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

8. magamo macrumors 6502

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Being the non-PC kinda' guy I am - I think I'll love it! Loved Borat and his Ali G. on HBO too.

10. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Offensive? No, it'll be great. And in the process hopefully he will expose how bigoted and prejudiced many people really are. Can't wait for Austrian Gay TV!

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm thinking this will be completely outrageous and funny. Can't wait to see it.

12. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

There's also clips of him on Ali G. He's hilarious, but the reactions he gets are what makes him so.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Looks hillarious, can't wait for it to come out. Who cares if it offends people, it's all a joke and if you don't like it, don't watch it.

14. H$R macrumors 6502

H$R

same goes for "Borat".

That was a hilarious laugh at the cinema. The second time watching it on TV was still funny, though not as good as the first time.

I don't get all those people complaining..just don't watch it if you don't want to. Nobody's forcing you.
    But then again people LOVE to complain.
    There are masses of politician out there who also love to complain instead of thinking. But that's a complete other topic.

I myself am looking forward for the movie.

15. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

So far the only Sacha Baron Cohen movie I liked was Ali G Inda House, I didn't think Borat was funny and I probably won't see Bruno. However, I think that movies like this are important because we need to remind ourselves not to be so serious all the time. It sickens me that people cannot express certain things for fear that they might offend someone's delicate sensibilities.

16. Keebler macrumors 68030

i think it will be funny. of course it will offend someone. everything always does unfortunately.

Those of us with humour in our lives, will dig it.

i laugh everytime i see him take the baby out of the box at the airport and when on the talk show he says he'll give the baby a traditional African name of "OJ" and when he's with the hunters talking about sex in the city.

i'll see this opening day :)

17. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

This is gonna be fracking epic. Could possibly smoke Borat IMHO.

18. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

I heard that they made that film the same time they were in the States doing Borat.

I think they were worried that some people would have cottoned-on to who he was, I think they were expecting Borat to be so Big over there, and this should have the same effect, I'd imagine...

It'll be OK, but he was on TV in the UK for a long time, so the joke has worn off me, slightly...

It's worthwhile watching the moment he met up with a load of nazi skinheads, when he did his show (if you haven't seen it).

He has no fear! :)

--->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMsfw8-RUY

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It might not be offensive but it probably won't be funny. I found Borat to be just stupid.

20. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I think its good that in the politically correct societies we live in there is someone who really doesn't care.

Ands its funny because he insults everybody and just about gets away with it!

Can't wait to see it!

21. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Holy **** that trailer is awesome! I can't wait to see this movie.

22. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

+1 for me, I was teary eyed after seeing the trailer last weekend and my gf was looking at me like, "Dude, I don't get it...."
    :p

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a fan of his other 2 creations but I've never been much a fan of Bruno. I guess we'll see. But it'll certainly be both hilarious and offensive.

Borat has been my favourite so far though, partially because I have Central/Eastern European blood in me and half my relatives are similarly crazy.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's such a Samantha thing to say.

I can't wait. Bruno is one of my favorite characters. I heard a while back about a cage fight night he set up in the south that sounds wonderful :D!