Brain Drain.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A recent study shows that lying desensitizes the brain making itself more comfortable towards lying. It may explain why some people lie about things even if they have no reason to lie.

The study states that chronic lying is a problem for society and it left it open if the brain could be un-trained from chronic lying.

Do you find lying easier after you have told a few lies ?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Go ahead. Tell the wife those jeans look perfect ....

3. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

That's certainly a lie that must be easier with time :).

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Dinner was GREAT
    I dont mind if you don't shave your legs and .....
    Sure your mom can stay for a week or two
    Yes I like spending time with your anti gun dad
    You haven't aged a day
    Yes I enjoy taking you and your mom shopping for a few hours
    Of course I would marry you again if we had to do it all over

5. Zenithal Suspended

This isn't what brain drain means. Lying is a form of deception. The more you lie the more natural it becomes. It's a side-shoot of apathy. In the same way a base jumper is nervous the first 200 times but then it becomes another jump and they don't care about it at all. They're cool as a cucumber. I mean, one day their parachute may not deploy and they'll find themselves splat like juice spilt onto the floor, but it's not a big deal.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Brain Drain? I'm rebranding this Trump Dump.

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

but doesn't Hillary have more of a reputation for lying even when there is no reason to lie ?

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Politicians have long been said to be among the most honest people in our society.

9. Scepticalscribe, Oct 25, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Firstly, the thread title is profoundly misleading. Or mistaken, as it is clear that what is usually understood by the term 'brain drain' is not what is under discussion here.

A 'brain drain' is when a society - or a country - loses large numbers of its educated, qualified people to migration - often because of war, conflict, or economic collapse and distress, or simply a lack of economic and life opportunities.

It is a case of the proverbial 'brightest and best' getting out, or choosing to leave, because staying is impossible or deeply unattractive, or - sometimes - downright dangerous.

What is under discussion here is mendacity, misrepresentation, or lying, and the thread title should properly reflect that.

I would phrase such a question differently: Can political leaders risk telling the truth? Sometimes, the truth is like aged whisky, best appreciated when sipped strongly diluted and in rather small - but cherished - quantities.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That might be a reputation but it's an inaccurate one. Trump lies far more than she does.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

13. samcraig macrumors P6

That's moving the goalpost. Trump lies more. Period.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

It's not moving the goalpost. I didn't make the other argument.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump lies like 65+ percent of the time. That makes him completely untrustworthy. It doesn't matter if they are big things (like saying his sexual assault accusers are lying - which I know at least one who isn't) or small white lies. The expression of "I know you're lying because your lips are moving" applies to him. Does Hillary lie? Yes. Everyone does. But in no way does she lie more.