Brain draining in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jul 27, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Traditionally, top scholars from around the globe flock to the USA for opportunities to be on the cutting edge. More than once have we read high tech news featuring people with Chinese or Indian names and such. However, it looks like the economy is biting up into the innovation sectors of US science and technology industries. Here is a story of an Indian who came here for these opportunities to be disappointed and is now heading home for even greener pastures. Perhaps there are many more cases like this? Are stories like these the forecaster of USA losing its mantel for technological leadership? What do you think?

Discuss. :)

Lured by the prospect of climbing to the top of his field, New Delhi native Swaroop Ganguly came to the U.S. 10 years ago and earned a Ph.D. in electrical and computer engineering from the University of Texas at Austin in 2005.
    He became an expert in an emerging technology called spintronics, used to power semiconductors, and worked at several chip companies, including Freescale Semiconductor. But Ganguly, now 32, is moving back to India this summer.
    (more...)
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32172403/ns/business-world_business/[/FONT]

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I dont know, seems just about everytime I hear about some big break through in a scientific field it comes from several of the great schools here like Carnegie-Melon.

We live in a global world now, America isn't the only place where innovation and breakthroughs happen, and thats a GREAT thing.

I do have to say that going through k-12 public school however, I am frightened at how little students seem to know or care about the rest of the world, but hey, i guess thats just the american way right?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We exported our economy a long time ago. Can you say "outsourcing"?

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Map of average IQ throughout the known world.
    [​IMG]

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

We still have the best high tech companies in the world. But I think you're right about a brain drain.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

To be fair the average australian IQ would be a lot higher if you discounted outliers like myself.

7. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

That map smells like BS to me. China might have a lot of bright ppl since they have a lot of people period! But to say that the average is like the best? No way. There are more than enough “farmers” in China to offset all their top brains.

And I don’t think NA and SA are around the same.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't think that North Korea is higher than average...

9. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This is IQ, not general economic success.

I'm going to temporarily become an Australian citizen because I could have sworn I read the thread title as "Battery drain" instead of "brain drain".

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It also looks like its very dubious research.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That could be the case, lol.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That is as close to an entirely idiotic piece of worthless and bogus information as I ever want to get.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Agreed, no massive amounts of land would ever be covered in one solid color.

Its inaccuracy is on such a scale that the data is useless.

14. lamadude macrumors 6502

Wow that map is so ridiculously stupid that the creator of it must have been Australian (kidding, kidding :))

I'm pretty sure the average IQ (the whole concept of IQ is already quite debatable) is around 100 for all countries in the world. Education increases knowledge but not intelligence.

Back on topic, I think that the US still is the best place in the world for top level research and education (not for basic or high school education, that's a whole other story) and the US still benefits massively from brain-drain, although maybe to a slightly smaller extend than in the 90's.

15. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

"Let's survey a few people on university campuses in major cities, then generalize the data to everyone in the whole country." Maybe they could focus on mathematics classes as well, that would make the data even more valid. :rolleyes:

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

The concepts of g and IQ are dubious in the first place.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Either that map is an obvious forgery of data or is from some completely unreliable source. Speaking of which, source?

18. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

How can you tell by just looking? Seems to me that you've already decided your opinion on this map before you know how it was generated.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I see that you've taken it up with Wikipedia. Any responses? :)

20. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I just want to pipe in and say that spintronics has nothing to do with 'powering semiconductors' but rather taking advantage of electron spin as an additional degree of freedom along with charge.

More info here: http://www.csqc.ucsb.edu/

21. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Because its too consistent over far to big an area to represent anything other than an extremely watered down "average".

23. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What you said was 'obvious forgery of data' or 'completely unreliable source."

That's different from generating a map that may or may not have enough granularity to have any meaning.

One implies an active act of deception, the other is just incompetence or lack of deliberation.

When I see that map, I don't see the regional consistency as point to argue against because the types of persons who are generating this map are using it to prove their point about the regional differences in IQ itself.

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The fact that Colombia, for example, is exactly the same color as the rest of American countries (I use American in the geographic, not USA sense), raises some eyebrows. There should be SOME difference there. (not picking on Colombia, just using it as an example)

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine