Brain Structure Determines Political Views

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by InsanelyApple, Apr 9, 2011.

1. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/political-views-tied-brain-structure/story?id=13317961

So people who are liberal are more logical and people who are conservative are more scared. (That's the first word I thought of for conservatives, sorry if it offended you.)

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Doesn't surprise me.

But conservatives are probably happier overall :p

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'm liberal, so I'm happy not to question this! :D

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sometimes it's logical to be scared so I'm in two minds about this.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Me neither.

It helps to explain why fear is so often used by conservatives as a tool for motivating the electorate.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, how about Liberals are more open, and Conservatives are more closed?

7. stroked Suspended

stroked

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So we only have to rewire everyone's brains to achieve a utopian society?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Which came first? I mean, it's quite possible that after Watching Glenn Beck for years, that you become a more "scared" person, while someone who researches issues will have a greater capacity to judge conflicting evidence.

Again, which came first? The chicken or the egg?

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The problem isn't recognizing a legitimate threat, it's conjuring up threats when they don't exist or overreacting to minor threats. There are plenty of examples of this: the current fear and loathing of Muslims, homophobia, fear of government, fear of taxes ...

Feel free to add a few of your own.

11. stroked Suspended

stroked

That isn't an answer to my question, not even a good try of side stepping it.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And that frightens you? :cool:

13. louis Fashion macrumors 6502a

louis Fashion

There is a app for that.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I heard in a video that the brain is not plastered as it is until you die. The brain is apparently moldable to your activities (in the study, subjects were blind folded for a week and the parts of the brain that had to do with touch were enlarged at the expense of the parts dealing with vision).
    Maybe your brain is changed with the way you see the world (political views) instead of vice versa.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No, seeing everything as a threat is the same as scared.

16. stroked Suspended

stroked

No, that's paranoid.

17. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Or maybe to be more precise, liberals are prone to processing information from all sides of an argument, sorting it out, and coming to a reasonable conclusion; whereas conservatives are more likely to respond to things with suspicion, especially if like-minded people are telling them they should be afraid.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ok, I'll accept that too.

I was going more for the Desmond Morris school of thought. ;)

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This might explain why paranoid rants scrawled on chalkboards and appeals to nine-eleven resonate so well with the right wing (the amygdala, as I understand it, it sometimes called the "lizard brain").

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Disorderly surroundings can feed stereotypes, study finds

LA Times

I thought this was really fascinating. Progressive societies are quite literally built on cleanliness.

21. InsanelyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

You know, that's a good way to put it. I was tired when I made the first post... and this one. XD (Nah, seriously though. That's is a good way to put it.)

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Seems believable, but correlation doesn't equal causation.

Of course there are exceptions to this, but still it is a neat piece of data!

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, there's something to be said for that, too.

The kind of almost automatic fear/distrust response that conservatives have to so many things has a tribal quality to it. Put a foreign (literally or figuratively) idea in front of many of today's conservatives, and they dance around it and scream like the apes did with the monolith in "2001". ;)

One could extend that to conservatives' pathological fear of government. I think in the case of both government and capitalism, liberals tend to trust them when they work right, distrust them when they don't. But if you listen to your typical conservative rant, government rarely if ever does anything right, and capitalism can do no wrong. That's because capitalism is "the tribe", and everything outside the tribe (like government) is to be feared and kept away.

24. mcrain, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Heard a bizaare study described on the radio. Researches had random students at a college fill out forms detailing their political views. The students were asked to step to an area by a wall for the questioning. With one group, they had a blank wall, and with the second group, there was a hand sanitizer on the wall next to where the questioning was being performed.

I'm not sure if the students were asked to sanitize first or not, but in the group with the sanitizer, the views were measurably more conservative than the group without the sanitizer.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the threats and conservative views being tied together.

(edit) A better link

25. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I suspect this is a methodologically flawed study. Does anyone have a link of the detailed study procedures and findings? Were the results even statistically reliable? Epidemiologists are notorious for drawing conclusions without regard to probability that effects may be due to chance. I would imagine the sample sizes were small, predisposing any effects towards unreliability due to sampling error.