Brain type may dictate politics

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Blue Velvet, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which is a relief; means we can close down these forums as all our views are hardwired, no room for compromise. ;)

The liberal link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/sep/10/1

The conservative link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/09/10/scifestival2.xml

:D

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's truly fascinating!

One thing I've always wondered is why some gay people can be so supportive of conservative politics when one aim of the conservatives is to deny gay people their rights.

It would make sense that those people are simply hard wired to be conservative.

I just wonder how much this is influenced by environment.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How does that explain people who change sides? And if it is true, then every penny spent on elections is wasted, as the outcome would be a foregone conclusion.

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I should add that I take this as seriously as iPhone-unlocking software that works. ;)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this what they mean by "right-brained" and "left-brained"? :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while i'm sure there is some sort of disposition inherent in any given person, i think that a lot of this comes down to one's environment and personal experiences.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think most of us generally gave up on that concept... that concept was based loosely on the idea that the left hemisphere was better at processing local relationships, symbolic information, sequences of events in time, etc, and the right hemisphere of most individuals is more oriented to overall patterns and themes (the "gestalt").

At one point, I think people thought that one of these hemispheres dominated thinking and reasoning processes in a given person, so some people were more analytical (left brain) and some more holistic, integrative, or creative (right brain).

But, it seems more accurate to say that some people have very highly localized ways of solving problems -- i.e. you give them a certain kind of question, and they use just one set of cognitive resources to solve it -- and some people are much more diffuse, drawing in many different aspects of the brain. There have been some patterns found in the literature about this...

- Women tend to be less localized than men (this is important for stroke rehab, because localized damage to the brain often causes less severe functional problems in women for this reason)

- I think that, related to the corpus callosum literature, the brains of gay men tend to be less localized also

- Left handed people also tend to be less localized than right handed people

- Most people have language localized to certain structures in the left hemisphere (in epilepsy, for instance, there's a test that's sometimes done where half of the cortex is put to sleep at a time, to see what functions that half of the brain is needed for)... people who don't have language localized to the left (seems to be about 10-15% of of right handed individuals and maybe 50% of lefties) are also less localized in general.

I dunno... I haven't looked at this article yet, but it might well be that liberals are less localized than conservatives. :D

Either that, or you give them a fracking task, over and over again, and they're still pausing and trying to figure it out each time. :eek: :eek:

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Rubbish. Upbringing and personal experience far outweigh any 'hard-wired' viewpoints.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This sounds logical, but one thing that is always very difficult to account for is self-selection. Even within any given environment, there is a large degree of flexibility. As a result, it's always hard to account for the extent to which a person's sub-slice of the environment was shaped by them.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was going to post this a few days ago when I first read it, but decided against it. For the record, it doesn't mean people can't change their minds, or that environment doesn't play a factor. Just that certain brain patterns can affect how we view things, which can affect the way we vote. Or at least lean towards. There's still choice, and still other reasons behind those beliefs than just what you're born with. It just says that generally Liberals are more open to new and evolving ideas, and generally Conservatives prefer consistency, plus some other stuff that anyone could tell you. Read the articles a little more closely, and you'll see what they're trying to say. ;)

I was going to make a joke about they can't help it, it's something they're born with, trying to link it to how some people think homosexuality is a choice, but it wasn't very funny, so I didn't.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The idea is that it's a factor, not the sole determinant.

It always amazes me that people can't seem to grasp this concept.

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

by definition, a conservative cannot change side, while a 'liberal' does that all the time.
    it follows that the ones changing sides continuously are the true liberals, who periodically join the conservative-conservative or the liberal-conservative groups.

On election day, the educated conservative elector will have naturally concluded that s/he should change and vote liberal, but when it comes to it, the hard-wired brain resists change and, in the spur of the moment, s/he votes conservative.
    Meanwhile, the educated liberal elector will have naturally concluded that s/he should keep voting liberal, but when it comes to it, the hard-wired brain chooses change and, in the spur of the moment, s/he votes conservative.

To balance this inherent bias against liberalism, progress, and a brighter future for mankind, the only fair solution would be that the conservative votes should only count 1/2.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How about 3/5 instead? :D

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

A little of nature a little of nurture. If I were to bet on one, I would bet on nurture.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That would be constitutionally appropriate.

17. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Gee, and all this time I thought I was just evil and wanted poor people to die slow, painful deaths! Science sure has a way of taking all the fun out of things...

Until this can be officially achieved, liberals will have to be content with striking down voter ID laws... ;)