Brain versus Penis.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by WiiDSmoker, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Hi Everyone,

I am an atheist, blunt one at that, that strongly thinks that religion is a bad thing for the world and for the progress of humanity. I live in Nashville, TN where I have pretty much given up on meeting a woman who isn't religious around this city.

However; this girl that I have been talking to off and on for awhile now, we are starting to get closer. Last night for instance we had a great time bowling, playing at the arcade, and having dinner together.

This morning shes texts me, "i know you're not much into it, but do you want to go to church w/me in the a.m :) ".

My penis absolutely wants to respond with "sure, i'll go", in the hopes that this leads to further physical interaction...but my brain is strongly against this. This goes against everything that I have come to accept.

I do not want my penis to win in the long term, but in the short term, my brain is starting to give in.

What's a guy to do?

2. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Go to church with her. You can support her in her beliefs, but that doesn't mean you have to agree with them.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hmm, tough one. My religious beliefs are identical to yours, however i live in NJ and most people here aren't much into religion, so it's never been a problem. If this girl knows you're an atheist and she's still with you, there might be something there, many hardcore christian girls would have already left you by now. I would decline the church invitation, and next time you guys hang out explain to her why that's something you just can't do. There seems to be a huge double standard, atheists are expected to respect the religious beliefs of others, but many times religious people don't respect the views of atheists. Who knows? She might be very understanding and you might not have to choose between brain and penis. Short answer: don't go to church.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Does she know you're an atheist? Just how religious is she? Like "saving herself for marriage" religious? If so, don't listen to your penis because it's going to be a frustrating, uh, ride and it's not entirely fair to her. There's very little chance this is going to be a lasting relationship with such conflicting beliefs.

My condolences for living in TN as an atheist but don't go to church. It's somewhat misleading for her and it's going to be lousy for you. You don't want to open that "conversion" door. All kinds of madness will come out.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

(Pre-marital) sex is all mixed together with thoughts of sinning and guilt for most religious girls, not something really worth it in my view.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

If she is a church-going Christian then there is going to be little chance of you getting your dick wet… unless it is the Church of the Holy Free Love — which I doubt.

Atheist/Religious believer. This is not a good basis for a relationship.
    She'll try to convert you, and you? Well you'll get pissed off with her trying soon enough.

Short term? Stay away from the church. ;)

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe she wants to do you in church. That could be kind of hot.

Seriously, stay away.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Make her yell "Oh God".

Might make her feel closer to Him.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

GO to church with her if she promises to watch Jesus Camp or read some Richard Dawkins with you. Try to get her to smarten up and join you in your atheism. And if she still won't let you bang her because she is saving that for marriage, then try to get in the backdoor. Sometimes those religious chicks go for that.

10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Listen, I know how loudly a penis can yell about such things, but no. The willingness to do anything to get laid is called "desperation" and partners can smell it. You are essentially proposing lying to a woman about your most deeply held beliefs, and hers, in order to placate her in the hopes of getting some. If you'll compromise your own integrity on that, then in what way wouldn't you?

Hint: she will happily let you do things like that now, but in the long run she won't feel like she can trust you because she knows you'll back down, give up any position, and tell her whatever she wants to hear to stay in her good graces and keep the penis happy. She will never be sure if she is hearing what you really think or what you think she wants you to think, and when you get it wrong she will thus end up wondering if, in a weird way, it's her fault, and it's a subtly uncomfortable position for her to be in. Better to establish a strong pattern of being yourself early, and then if you get rejected, at least it's for the right reasons.

Guys often get so caught up in the debate between penis and brain that they forget to let their spine have a say.

Finally, I know it's hard to find, but there are atheist women in the South. I ultimately had to leave, but many of the friends I went to college with with found and married fine examples, in Alabama.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My girlfriend is an Agnostic catholic and I'm an agnostic, leaning heavily towards atheism. But we get along just fine, she knows that I don't want to go to church.

In your situation I'd try and gauge how religious she is because it wouldn't be all that good to get really involved now and have it all go downhill because she puts her religion above you.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's a great quote! Never heard it before. I think you're going to be our next president.

13. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

What? :confused:

14. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Do not go to church with her. Politely decline the invitation on the basis that you are an atheist. Her reaction to this will let you know if a relationship with this girl is even a possibility.

Set the precedent now. Otherwise you may be taking the first step down the path of her trying to convert you. And no one wins in that situation.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

don't mislead her

16. 184550 Guest

Seems like your beliefs aren't that firmly held then. ;)

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Be honest with her and yourself.

18. Sankersizzle macrumors 6502a

Sankersizzle

Dude, let your penis win. I say you go. I once convinced a girl I was racist (I'm brown) and wished to bring down coloured people from within in order to pick her up.

Stop at no lengths.

19. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I think that's great advice. Lying or pretending in a serious relationship always seems to come back and haunt you--at least it always has with me.

21. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

When you are an adament Atheist, and she is a practicing Christian, it WILL become an issue. Especially when she already wants you to take part in her religion.

Also, if she is as religious at it seems, your penis is in for a long dry spell.

Use your brain and you won't have to be a jackass either. :)

22. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

OP, bad idea. If you were to start a relationship, you'd have serious issues down the road.

Even if you don't PLAN on having a relationship, you can get roped into it and then you'll realize the bad situation you're in.

Also, if she became a serious Christian (which is highly likely), dating a non-Christian is a big no-no. You will go through some seriously lame stuff.

23. firestarter, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I think you should go to the church with her, but set a time limit on this little experiment and bail out if you're not getting anywhere in a week or two.

Stepping foot into a church is of very little meaning or consequence to you as an atheist. It might just be an interesting day out to see what they get up to.

Who knows, you may end up converting this girl to the path of atheist righteousness. It's the Lord's work. ;)

Edit: Maybe you could pretend to have something wrong with you that they can 'heal' in the middle of the service. They love that ****.

24. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Hm... a talking penis. Now thats interesting.

25. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

The story of the bible just represents the world view of a large part of the human population a couple thousand years ago.

Humans need to be able to explain the workings of the world.

Prior to the scientific method and technology to help create a more accurate world view, the methods used to understand the world were unsophisticated and unreliable.

The "facts" (earth only 6000 years old) of the bible are incorrect, but the principles (morality, etc) presented in the bible have merit.

For an atheist to appreciate religion, any religion has to be viewed in the context of being a world view of the past that should be treated as a life philosophy as opposed to being treated as factual absolute truth.

Remember: If you get her pregnant and don't marry her, you are just contributing your part to the process of evolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.