Brainstorm: Verizon's changing of plans from unlimited to 2GB data cap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carbonmotion, Jul 10, 2012.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

I've been a Verizon (VZ) customer for 2 years. Recently, VZ has changed their data plan from unlimited to 2GB data/ mo. cap. This is bad because half of the time for work, I need to watch videos that my subordinates finish producing on the go. While watching the videos in 3G is fine, I'd ideally like to watch them in HD. I understand that my unlimited plan is grandfathered, but every time I try to upgrade a new phone, VZ insists that I change my plan to the limited plan. Since my contract has expired this month, I'm willing to try new solutions to this problem including buying a VZ phone off contract or from Craigslist. Can you guys make any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it.

Note: I thought about leaving VZ, but I live in the Bay Area and the alternatives are awful...

2. Dunbar macrumors 6502a

Your only option to keep unlimited is to pay retail price for the phone or buy one from CL or ebay. If unlimited is important to you I would do that.

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Two Questions...

1) How do I get 4G to work on a Craigslist phone as my current phone is 3G and does not have the 4G sim

2) What happens if I go past contract without renewing? Do I have a month to month with Verizon?

4. aneftp macrumors 601

You can get a Verizon LTE phone (like Droid Razr (not Maxx), Galaxy nexus, HTC Rezound off Craigslist for less than $300 these days easily. So as long as you don't want the absolutely latest greatest phones. You can usually wait 4-6 months and get good quality phones. So you can keep unlimited data without breaking the bank for "full price" phones. Just go to Verizon store and ask for LTE sim card. They are free.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Just recently? Unlimited data was taken away last year. But yes, now when you upgrade you are forced to make the switch.

Your only alternative is to buy off-contract/full price, or on eBay or something.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Have you checked your actual data usage for a month of reviewing HD vids? Just curious how you'd fare on a tiered plan.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

1) You need to go into verizon with the new phone and they will give you an activated 4G sim.

2) You go month to month. Keep in mind, since you are no longer in contract, they can technically cancel whatever package you have. I suspect that, sooner or later, they will end up getting rid of the plan all together. Once people are all out of contract there isn't a whole lot they can do other than complain.

8. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

And there's noway to sign another contract without changing the plan, this sucks!

9. tomtom2234 macrumors member

I am not sure if buying a new 4g phone out of contract and then using 4g is allowed. (does it require a contract change, which would void your unlimited, to use the 4g service?)

If you are not too attached to your current provider you could always check out Sprint once their LTE network gets in your area. (their current wimax network may be in your area, although wimax isn't as good as LTE, it provides decent speeds depending where you live.)

10. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

too slow!

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There are two basic reasons for a contract...

1.) Make sure they get the money back for the heavily subsidized handset they gave you when you signed.

2.) Allow them to re-evaluate pricing on their plans.

Verizon took the first step and stopped allowing grandfathered unlimited plans with upgrades. It doesn't make a whole lot of business sense for them to keep the unlimited plan around for that much longer.

How much data do you actually use? It might end up cheaper, in the long run, to just go ahead and use your upgrade unless you are using 5+ gigs a month religiously.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I guess ATT does it differently. I bought the 4s in november and resinged a new 2 year contract keeping my unlimited data.

13. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

This is a fairly recent change with Verizon (began at the end of June)... and you may have resigned a two year 'unlimited' contract, but they can still hard throttle you at 3GB if they choose to.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I guess i will find out when i go to upgrade. I would probably save money b.c i use about 1.5 gb

15. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I don't think AT&T is going to adopt VZW model.

I think AT&T model will be more revolutionary than VZW.

I'll NEVER give up my unlimited data on AT&T, I'll HAPPILY pay unsubsidized pricing.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

LOL you've already given up your unlimited plan.....you just haven't figured it out yet.

17. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Say what you say, but I'll carry over my track record from Voice and NEVER pay .01 for overages.

;)

18. BiggAW macrumors 68020

So true.

To the OP: If you're on a family plan with other lines that don't need unlimited data, you could swap phones. Or pay full price for an SGSIII, or like others have said, get a used RAZR MAXX or something off Ebay or Craigslist. I'd wait until the new iPhone comes out, and a lot of those phones will tank in price as people dump them to get with the new LTE iPhone.