Brand New 120GB MacBook Air & Already 23 GB Used? Whats going on here

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by VideoNewbie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

so far i have firefox installed and thats it.

why does it say ive already used 23 gb of memory???

isnt the actual operating system only about 8gb of memory?

whats goin on here someone please help

2. simsaladimbamba

3. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

I would not call that unusual. You have a recovery, partition, a main partition with all of OS X, all of iLife, sleep file space, swap file space etc...

There are some drivers, language options, and some iLife apps you might not use to get back some space but that may only be 5-10gb depending.

4. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that there is also a recovery partition and the sleep file is equal in size to the amount of memory you have. So 8GB ram installed = 8GB sleep file reserved. Pre-installed programs such as Garage Band and iMovie are pretty big as well.

5. antolini macrumors newbie

I'd say probably pretty standard to have about 20 GB of disk space used up out of the box due to OS, drivers, preloaded applications, and RAM.

6. mober, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

mober macrumors newbie

MBA 2012 on Lion

It sounds kinda normal to me. If I do disk usage statistics and grep out the toplevelfolders on / I see my system without private data also ~ 25 GB

a
    Code:
    cd / && sudo du -m . | grep [.]/[^/]*$
    on my system gives me

Code:
    1	./.DocumentRevisions-V100
    5	./.fseventsd
    93	./.Spotlight-V100
    0	./.Trashes
    0	./.vol
    7053	./Applications
    4	./bin
    0	./cores
    1	./dev
    1	./home
    2996	./Library
    1	./net
    0	./Network
    9268	./private
    3	./sbin
    3479	./System
    14513	./Users
    618	./usr
    1	./Volumes

I've a couple apps installed and use homebrew for my unix like apps (that goes to /usr/local) which is ~ 0.5 GB. Out of the box /Applications should be ~ 5GB I guess. /private is only as big because of sleepfile in /private/var/vm which was already exlained. /Library and /System is your system data obviously... so here you go.

a
    Code:
    du -hs /
    gives me on my system 37GB. substract the ~15GB in my home directory leaves ~ 23 GB for the system...

7. silverjam macrumors regular

23 sounds right. My first back up after a fresh instal is about 21gb.

8. scarred macrumors 6502a

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Not sure why you're mucking about with grep when du can give you all of the info by itself.

Code:

sudo du -d1 -h /

will give you a much more readable output

Code:
    7.6M	/.DocumentRevisions-V100
     52K	/.fseventsd
    185M	/.Spotlight-V100
      0B	/.Trashes
      0B	/.vol
     14G	/Applications
    3.8M	/bin
      0B	/cores
    4.5K	/dev
    1.0K	/home
    7.9G	/Library
    1.0K	/net
      0B	/Network
     38M	/opt
    5.1G	/private
    2.8M	/sbin
    3.4G	/System
     14G	/Users
    727M	/usr
     12K	/Volumes
     45G	/

B = Bytes
    K = Kilobytes
    M = Megabytes
    G = Gigabytes

10. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Pretty pathetic that the base OS and all its drivers use up over 20 GB. No wonder it's so slow and sluggish.

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

If you read the above carefully, you'll see that 20GB is not for the operating system and drivers - its for all that PLUS a recovery partition plus a sleep image.

12. PeterJP macrumors regular

Haha !

Speed has nothing to do with the size on disk. Windows 7 is bigger than Vista but it's lots faster. It's obviously much, much bigger than Windows 95, but it's leagues faster. It's obviously tremendous amounts bigger than Windows 3.1, but it's in another dimension of fastness. Should I continue ?

Peter.

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Don't bother. It makes posts like that like all over the place and thinks it's funny or something.

14. PeterJP macrumors regular

I thought it was pretty funny ! Not very flattering for his public image, but funny nonetheless.

Peter.

15. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Ever run Windows 95 on a quad core? It's boots in under 3 seconds. And installs in less than a minute. You could even run the whole OS in RAM. OS X Lion is a slug in comparison.

16. Highlander- macrumors member

Even a Skoda would be fast if you put a big engine in it; power and speed is one thing, reliability and handling another.

17. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

Well, technicly it wont run at all if you run the base 95 version, which has a bug if a cpu hits over 450Mhz you would moslty hit a BSOD within 3 seconds :)

But still i can't be amazed that everyone is complaing about 23GB of used space (yes its a tad much on the 128GB ssd) but have any of you bought a new PC (yes with windows) that got so much bloatware on it that you would prolly cap 40GB nowadays.

18. isrefel macrumors member

If you're really that worried about disk space, check out Monolingual (http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/). It removes other language resources, and can free up a few gigs.

19. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Hey now hang on, we own a skoda vrs, and it's all of the above :)

20. mober macrumors newbie

because I use grep and regex on a daily base at work and I had this as bash function I've in place for years now. Didn't know the du -d1 option. You don't have to cat the -h option, instead you can do

Code:
    du -d1h

which does the same thing... much nice output though!

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Old habits are hard to overcome. Thanks for the tip about concatenating the options.

22. Trunks87 macrumors newbie

Did everything but English, English USA & Canada and cleared 2.5GB. Thanks!!!

23. Ksh macrumors member

Yesterday unboxed MBA 128Gb and just booting for first time there was 105Gb free from 128Gb.Also the preferences showed that real size of this SSD is 120Gb (not 128Gb).So as all mates said between recovery partition,sleep and OSX gets that amount of gb filled.

In conclusion,just don't worry and enjoy the toy because everyone gots same amount of free space :p