Brand new 17" unibody with a cycle count of 8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gunmetalgrey, Apr 17, 2009.

1. gunmetalgrey macrumors newbie

Pulled the trigger this evening and picked up a 17" 2.66Ghz matte from the apple store. Going through the battery calibration as I type, and I'm noticing that the cycle count is 8. Is this normal? or did I get a returned/refurbed unit? Packaging wise the box looked new and sealed up with tape. Apart from that, I'm really enjoying the new machine!

2. assassinm4 macrumors member

manufacturer always run a few battery test before letting it go- just enjoy your new toy:D!

3. gunmetalgrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks :) I figured that could have been what happened. Upgrading from my ancient 17" Dell Inspiron 9400, I can't believe how cool this thing runs. Now to just try and get hold of a drive upgrade!

4. aleni macrumors 68020

actually 8 is not normal. i've had alot of apple notebooks and the cycle count never reached 2-3 when i opened it the first time. but don't worry though. it doesn't matter.

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

But 8? Mine only had one when I first checked it, and that was a day after I first used it.

6. gunmetalgrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the 8 does seem a little high now... but apart from that I can't fault anything else with the laptop so I'm totally happy with the purchase.

7. aleni macrumors 68020

maybe his machine has a little more problems than any other so they had to use the battery a little while. LOL. knock on wood...

8. gunmetalgrey thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol.. knock on a BIG piece of wood :)

9. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

I would get it replaced!
    I had to get 3 replacements on mine because of various issue and all of them didn't even have 1 cycle on them.

10. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

First, congrats to you on your new laptop.

Hmmm . . . 8 battery cycles for a new laptop does seem a bit high. You may wish to make an inquiry. However, if everything is running well, you should simply enjoy your new MBP. Enjoy!

11. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Not for me. My replacement UMBP had 0 cycles. My first one had 3.

12. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Are you serious? Just because all of your batteries needed to be replaced and all of them didn't even have 1 cycle doesn't mean that there's a trend. Mine came with 5 cycles, but really who cares. If there's a problem, then you can get it fixed in the future. Just because your batter has gone through a couple cycles doesn't mean its a defective batter. As I've said in other threads, I would actually be glad that my battery came with a couple cycles. It probably means that they used your machine as the test machine out of the batch. Thats a good thing because it means that it passed the test.

to OP: Don't worry about it. An extra 8 cycles won't do it any harm.

13. emotta macrumors member

I had 6 when i first opened the box. Mine is flawless and it actually stays at about 131,000 mah.

14. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

Both of my uMBP and my mate's uMBP came with 0 cycles from new. I've always assumed they should come with 0 cycles on them.