Brand new 2017 MacBook Pro, and Brand New iPhone X but......

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
...... you need to buy an adapter to connect them together???? How rediculous is that? 2 brand new Apple products should never need an adapter to connect!! So I’ve had to buy a multi adapter for £69
connect them wirelessly.. not really sure why you need a wired connection these days but assuming you do:

a usb-c to lightning cable is $25 from Apple.. cheaper elsewhere.. not sure what you've spent £69 on but it seems high.

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 12.52.16 PM.png

johannnn

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Downside is that they indeed can't be connected together. Really crazy.
Upside is that you nowadays don't really need to ever connect them. I have the 2015 iMac with normal USB, and I haven't even connected them once.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
connect them wirelessly.. not really sure why you need a wired connection these days but assuming you do:

a usb-c to lightning cable is $25 from Apple.. cheaper elsewhere.. not sure what you've spent £69 on but it seems high.

View attachment 728469
Well, I needed to connect to my 4K TV anyway so decided to get that adapter, I always connect using USB to back my phone up to it and to transfer photos. Might just back up using WiFi from now on

Reactions: flat five

whohasaquestion

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
Transferring slow-mo video using Airdrop loses a feature to adjust the slow motion portion. I don't think Airdrop works with Live Photo either.

So yes, you do need to connect with wire unless you don't care what you miss.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
*Alternate universe*

"I've just opened my iPhone X and it comes with a USB-C cable, so now I have to buy another Lightning cable to use it with my chargers, computer, car?! Thanks for the $1018 iPhone, Apple!"

___

There are a lot more people with USB devices. I would agree that Apple should have put a USB-C to USB adapter in the MacBook Pro's box, but including a standard USB cable with the iPhone is what is more appropriate for most customers.

Reactions: deadworlds and Mr.C

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Transferring slow-mo video using Airdrop loses a feature to adjust the slow motion portion. I don't think Airdrop works with Live Photo either.

So yes, you do need to connect with wire unless you don't care what you miss.
hmm.. not talking about Airdrop.

if your photos/videos are set up to sync with a mac, SloMo & LivePhoto are editable in the same way they are on your phone.

and further, you don't have to plug in or even initiate a transfer.. it's all happening automatically.. like- if i just went out and shot a bunch of photos with my iPhone then came back to my Macs, all the photos would already be on my computers.

Reactions: eagleglen

lordhamster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
I have an all usb c macbook pro, and have loved using it with my Pixel XL all year. However, I bought the USB-C to lightnig adapter ages ago to fast charge my iPad... and so I don’t need to schlep multiple power bricks. The USB-Lightning cable is worth it... and I’m sure there will be tons of 3rd party ones out shortly.
[doublepost=1509214514][/doublepost]I have an all usb c macbook pro, and have loved using it with my Pixel XL all year. However, I bought the USB-C to lightnig adapter ages ago to fast charge my iPad... and so I don’t need to schlep multiple power bricks. The USB-Lightning cable is worth it... and I’m sure there will be tons of 3rd party ones out shortly.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
LOL... and why does Apple have a gibzillion dollar cash hoard?

By making you buy a $50+ accessory if you want quick charging on your $1000 phone while everyone else includes it with their phones.

Milkin' that cash cow, eh, their loyal fanbase for all it's worth!

Reactions: Technarchy

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
...... you need to buy an adapter to connect them together???? How rediculous is that? 2 brand new Apple products should never need an adapter to connect!! So I’ve had to buy a multi adapter for £69
You sound a lot like the people in 2012 holding their 30-pin cables and docks when Apple changed to the lightning cable.

You also sound a lot like the people with PowerPC Macs when Apple launched iOS 7 and they discovered their 30-pin devices no longer synced with iTunes.

Interested to hear what you have to say about the phone not having a headphone jack.

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
You sound a lot like the people in 2012 holding their 30-pin cables and docks when Apple changed to the lightning cable.

You also sound a lot like the people with PowerPC Macs when Apple launched iOS 7 and they discovered their 30-pin devices no longer synced with iTunes.

Interested to hear what you have to say about the phone not having a headphone jack.
But the phone comes with a headphone jack adapter?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2012
Connection needed if you want to do iTunes backup.
Apple is all screwed up with connectors and lack of them. They should use the same at this point with new equipment

Kulfon

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2013
I have a very expensive and top notch headphones. And because of them, I am keeping 6s.

Reactions: eyoungren

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
I have a very expensive and top notch headphones. And because of them, I am keeping 6s.
There is an adapter that plugs into to lightning port with a headphone jack on it, included with new iPhones. Also, you can buy better DACs that do the same on the iPhone 6s if you want great audio. The built in DACs are fine, but not if you have top notch headphones (insert top notch iPhone X joke here).

Kulfon

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2013
I am aware about the adaptor. Not a fan. 6s good enough.

There is an adapter that plugs into to lightning port with a headphone jack on it, included with new iPhones. Also, you can buy better DACs that do the same on the iPhone 6 if you want great audio.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
...why do you need to connect them to each other?

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
That is kinda weak. The whole reason we go for an Apple eco-system isn't just for software uniformity, but hardware, too. And as far as my experiences go, wired transfer has always been preferred because of the speed benefit.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I agree it is ridiculous. The lack of usb a on the 2017 mbp really bugs me sometimes. I did to grab an adapter each time I want to use a usb a device.

Its even more frustrating you can't connect an iPhone or iPad to the 2017 mbp without an adpater.

Hoosier317

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Well, I needed to connect to my 4K TV anyway so decided to get that adapter, I always connect using USB to back my phone up to it and to transfer photos. Might just back up using WiFi from now on
New at: why do you need it for your tv?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
hmm.. not talking about Airdrop.

if your photos/videos are set up to sync with a mac, SloMo & LivePhoto are editable in the same way they are on your phone.

and further, you don't have to plug in or even initiate a transfer.. it's all happening automatically.. like- if i just went out and shot a bunch of photos with my iPhone then came back to my Macs, all the photos would already be on my computers.
This. Why not use iCloud photos? The Mac photo app is identical to your phone.