Brand new iMac 24" 2.66 - Firewire 800-drive not shutting off

Discussion in 'iMac' started by donkey5600, Apr 9, 2009.

1. donkey5600 macrumors newbie

24" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - brand new.

Have 2 LaCie drives connected to it. One in the USB port, One in the FW800 port. Both are on auto (to power on and off)

Power down iMac, USB external drive powers down just fine, FW800 stays on?

I have swapped drives, power supplies, cords, etc. and it (when in FW800 )still does not power off automatically.

I have tried it on my 1.67 powerbook and my mac pro at work. When I power on and of the drive turns on and off automatically.

Anyone know about this or could it be a glitch in my brand new, 2 day old iMac?

BTW - I am going into the store today, not with the iMac but with the drive, to test it...

2. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that.

I also shut off the computer while the drive was still on and attached. The drive was still on (because it doesn't power off when the iMac shuts off) and I pulled the power cord off the iMac. The drive turned itself off.

Then I plugged the cord back in the iMac but the drive didn't turn back on.

3. Sebby macrumors 6502a

Have you checked if there's a firmware update for the LaCie? I have a WD MyBook connected by FW to my 2009 iMac and it shuts off fine.

4. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip!
    I found this: http://www.lacie.com/support/drivers/driver.htm?id=10053

***-Since I had the drive here I tested the drive. Its currently up to date.

I will give that a shot once I get home. If your WD drive shuts down then at least that solves one problem and eases my mind a bit. It sounds like its either my iMac, the firmware update or an issue between LaCie and Apple.

Hope to know more when I go into the store later today.

5. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple store has to have the iMac and the drive for testing but after I told them what I had done they said I trouble shot it as much as they would have done. They did suggest I purchased a drive for testing and bring it back tomorrow. They seem to think it is the computer and that they might even be able to swap it out for a new one.

6. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

This might be comparing Apples to Oranges, but on my Mac Mini I have a Newtech mini-stack hooked up via firewire and the power light never turns off.

The drive does go to sleep-sometimes even when the Mini is on (I can hear it spin up when I access files on it). But it never totally shuts down. Wonder if it is the same for the iMac?

7. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

The same happens with this. The light stays on but the drive gets quiet but still buzzes like its spinning.

8. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just thought of something! The drive I just bought is powered by the port! Its a portable drive with no power supply needed. I guess it will be the ultimate test?

Someone at work said that a FW400 TO FW800 cord may work too? Testing is fun!!

9. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Hmm...

Pretty sure mine is silent-I will have to check it out when i get home from work and report back.

I actually called the good people at Another World Computing (a free plug, this is a GREAT company to do business with) and they told me it was normal for the light to stay on but that the drive should be sleeping, which it is.

10. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good to know, Normally I wouldn't be so freaked out but when I noticed that my Powerbook and my work computer shuts down the drive when the computer is off its made me a little worried that I got a bunk iMac.

11. Sebby macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm using.

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Okay so I got up early before anyone else did this morning and headed into the computer room.

Hard drive light was ON on the ministack-but no noise at all. The drive was clearly shut down. This may be because the ministack controller shuts it down, I am unsure. But I do know that it was not making any "buzz" like the OP heard.

13. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tested out the drive I bought yesterday. It worked like a charm. Taking the new Imac in Sunday to the store. The guys at my IT dept. think I may have found a bug in the logic board. Its still sending a current to the LaCie drive keeping it on.

It will be fun to see what the genius bar people do...then agin the iMac I got may be defective? Its been known to happen.

14. Sebby macrumors 6502a

I don't know why but I've got a feeling that it's going to behave the same on a new iMac.

15. donkey5600 thread starter macrumors newbie

LaCie drives plugged into brand new iMacs FW800 port do not auto power on or off when on auto. Bug report has been sent to Apple and LaCie.

They seem to power on and off on all other machines but the new iMacs. They said that there may be a patch on Apples behalf or LaCies behalf in the not so near future.