Brand New iPhone 3g replacement recieved - Box scratched/dinged/dented. What to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hamzab, Jan 23, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi all

Today I got a Brand New iPhone 3G replacement from Apple posted to my front door

I opened the cardboard package it arrived in and to my shock and horror, it has deep scratches all over it with one or two dents ( I know! How could someone treat a Brand New Apple product like that!)

Now Im afraid of opening it for fear of finding something wrong with the iPhone, as it looks as if its been severely thrown about and then someone has had the indecency of getting a key/knife and slashing some deep scratches all the way around the box!

So, should I ring Apple CR again and get them to send me out a new one? Or just open the plastic packaging and find out, I would post pics but cant find my old cam as I used the iPhone for mainly taking pics so ive dashed away the old 4MP somewhere! I dont want there being anything wrong with the phone, Ive already had 2 refurb replacements and its wasted enough of my time

Please help guys

HamzaB

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Quite simple...take the box to AT&T or Apple, whichever that sent you the box and demand for a replacement.

Do you want me to hold your hand to do that?

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This is almost common sense. What else are you going to do with it?

And post pictures please. I want to see how bad it is.

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

This requires posting?

I mean come on... you know what to do...

5. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I'd call them to get it logged in their system, then ask them if you should just open the box and see what shape the phone is in. It is very possible the phone is just fine. There's a lot of cushioning in there plus the phone has no moving parts that could be jarred lose.

6. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Open the phone and see if it works and if it's damaged. If the phone works and is fine they won't replace it. I mean who cares about the box. They are madde to cushion and protect the phone during transport.

If the phone is damaged send it back. It's not that difficult. You dont void any anything by opening the box and seeing if the phone is ok.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I'd post pictures first before opening the box.

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Is this a joke? Send you out a new what? A new box? Friggin open up the box like any other reasonable human being would and enjoy your iPhone. You talk about not wanting to waste anymore of your time, but you fail to see how marching back to the post office, sending it back, and then waiting for a new iPhone would be just that - a big waste of your time.

9. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Apple Pads those boxes fairly well, You should definately open it to see if any damage was done if so Applwe will of course replace it since it is not your fault :) don't worry about it too much

10. Resist macrumors 68030

I agree. If then upon opening the box the iPhone is damaged or doesn't work, then start complaining.