brand new iPhone 4S battery drains in 12 hours

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kulimer, Dec 4, 2011.

1. kulimer, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

kulimer macrumors 6502

My brand new iPhone 4S battery drains in 12 hours, has others experienced this? Did I get a bad Apple?

edit: I HIGHLY recommend download BatteryDoctor to iphone. It helps trickle charge your phone after your battery is 100%, thus lengthen your battery life. See page 2, someone posted a (not so relevant) screen shot.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Define "Drains"

For some reason Battery related threads always lack information,

3. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure, and sorry I was vague.

Turned on the phone at 12noon 100%, by 11PM it's at 40%. (11 hours total)

The features:
    -Wifi on
    -Data off half the time
    -No streaming, no text, no calls, no surfing online
    -also turned off location service
    I didn't use it much, I left stay on standby mostly

I am sure iPhone is designed to last much longer, so, is this a software issue, or did I encounter a bad Apple?

4. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Well did you use it or were you not using it? If you were using it throughout the day (even if not for hours at a time), the battery level goes down.
    According to this, you made a topic before you even finished using the battery...its almost halfway full :eek:

5. andross77 macrumors regular

if you did not use it at all, 11 hours and down 60% is not good. if you did no texting/calling/web surfing but were playing a 3d game like Chaos & Order, then it would be fine/great usage time.

But yeah, it should only drain 1-2% an hour if on Standby.

6. iphone4s16gb macrumors 6502

take a real quick search google : iphone 4s battery issue

you will found 100 pages result .

that is right .... iphone 4s has battery drain issue and apple cannot fix until
    new iphone release 2012 october 10

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Calibrate the battery. Mine was draining horrendously until I calibrated it now it's working great.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Lol where are you getting this info that they can not fix it until the new iPhone?

9. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Calibrating the battery only fixes the battery indicator though right?

10. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

The battery should drain about 0.5% every hour in standby(sleep), which comes out to 5% every 10hours.. That is what one should expect in sleep.

How many hours of usage and hours of standby does the iPhone tell you when you're having this "issue" you speak off?
    This is critical information

It depends.. if you're getting several hours worth of usage when at like 5-10% battery, then yes.

11. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Why do you have WiFi on if you"re not using it though?

12. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

The phone was on standby.

13. xraytech macrumors 68020

So many threads like this on MR. :(

[​IMG]

14. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it sound like I was playing games? Of course, I wasn't!

----------

I had Wifi because data was off, the phone doesn't like it when I don't give it internet.

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Calibrate the battery, as stated earlier. Also, restore your iPhone as new.
    Turn off all of your unused processes such as bluetooth, GPS, etc.
    Once those are all done, test your unit again. Charge it to 100%, let it sit for about 8-12 hours without use.
    How much has the batter discharged?
    It should be minimal, but you will see some usage.

Also, and this is a big one, stop being obsessed by the battery percentage number. Its a estimate, not exact. I suggest you turn it off. Your obsession won't be pleased at first, but you'll soon realize the obsession was just that.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Why not? Annoying switching it off surely? I always keep it on when I sleep.

17. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Mr.Doodle. I looked around and saw a lot posts like yours. Sure helps people from posting the problem again. :)

----------

Sure, I'll do that. I have already done the restore with data, WIFI, bluetooth turned off. So far, 91% in 3 hours on standby. Let's see how long it really lasts.

18. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

I will keep this up-to-date in case someone Google here.

So, I have done a restore and it helps. :)

Full battery for 13 hours, still 47% battery left.

Data turned off
    Wifi on
    Download a few apps
    listen to songs for few hours.

We'll see how it goes in the next few days.

19. MacDadd3 macrumors newbie

This is my usage, I'd like to think this is pretty good considering I use the hell out of my phone at school throughout the day and can only charge it at home.

[​IMG]

20. tranceFusion macrumors member

Come on, is this fake? I only get 5 hours Usage out of my phone pretty much every time.. mostly texting and web, but occasionally some 2D games.

Maybe I need to exchange mine..

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

This is not fake for sure, and you likely don't need to exchange your phone. I have been getting good battery life out of my phone but what some people don't seem to consider is that "usage" is a pretty broad category. Many different "uses" can cover a large span of actual battery use. I would venture an educated guess based on my weeklong experience that most people who have extremely high useage are listening to a lot of music.

Think about it this way: I could fully charge my phone and unplug it and start listening to music. This will start my usage timer. During this time, my phone is black and I'm just listening to a few locally installed tunes.

Let's say at the exact same time you unplug your fully charged phone but start browsing the internet and sending a few texts. This is a) constantly lighting the screen and b) constantly sending and receiving data.

At the end of 10 minutes, who do you think is going to have more battery life left? The one who listened to local content (i.e. music on the phone that requires no data be transmitted) with a turned-off screen -or- the person who is browsing the web/sending texts both having the screen fully lit and transmitting data? In both scenarios, the "usage" is going to show 10 minutes but the less straining usage is going to show far less drain on the battery.

If you want high usage, listen to music for hours on-end and you too can achieve 10+ hours of usage!

22. kulimer thread starter macrumors 6502

I just downloaded BatteryDoctor for my iPhone, it's awesome.

It trickle charges your phone, bascially,
    "Reduce charging current when battery is full to keep the electrons moving and lengthen battery lifespan."

even though the display on iPhone shows 100%, you shouldn't just stop charging right there.

23. jaskaransingh macrumors newbie

24. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Your phone's storage is only 5 gb (8 gb total??)? is this a 4s or a 4? I thought the problem was only with the 4s.

25. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Thats iCloud storage (everyone who signs up for iCloud gets 5GB free).