Brand new iPhone 4S serial numbers, since March 2012

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tennisproha, Mar 29, 2012.

1. tennisproha, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012

tennisproha macrumors 6502a

This question is specifically for anyone who bought a brand new iPhone 4S during or after March 2012. This is not regarding remanufactured/refurbished/replaced iPhones.

Can you tell me the first 3 digits your serial number starts with?

Thanks! :cool:

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Today is March 29th (30th), how could someone have already purchased one after March 2012?

3. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Re-read the OP post. They keyword is "during" or "after".
    EDIT: Apologies, seems as the OP had edited their post.

On the same topic, not sure why the OP want to know, you can see when your device was manufactured by the serial number if you're worried about old stock.
    However, the 4S I got in November 2011 had a nice screen. 3 replacements after the first one had a horrible screen. Yellow tinged. All manufactured in 2012. My 5th 4S replacement was made in 2011. Nice blue screen. Not sure if there's a coloration but those were my experiences.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Re-read after the OP post. The keywords are "Last edited by tennisproha; Today at 02:39 AM. Reason: more precise posting."

Back on subject- I have a new one purchased from Verizon in March that's C39.

5. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Interesting!! My Feb 2012 4S had a yellow screen [ fixed after JB'ing it and installed Color Profiles ] and my replacement October 2011 built 4S has a nice bright blue'ish screen!! Just like my iPhone 4!!

6. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol just to set the record straight, my initial post was "...on or after March...". Seemed like 'on' threw people off so I changed it to 'during'. :)

anyways....

So, I'm on my 3rd replacement. The first 2 had major audio issues with outgoing calls. The 3rd one I got today has a really loud vibrator and scratches all over the steel band. Honestly, I should've kept the first one I got on launch day and waited for a patch to audio issues; the 1st one seemed to be perfect otherwise.

wow, really? I didn't think the screen tint was and issue. Mine were yellow-ish. thats cool.

I thought I was being excessive but since you're on your 5th, I'm wondering if I should bother with it again. I just don't wanna go get another one that end's up being worse off with like a performance issue of some sort. :/

Reason why I'm asking is because my first 2 had a C39 and this 3rd one has a C28 serial number. Just trying to see if there is some sort of significance to that. I'm on att fyi.

Thanks!

7. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Just to let you know about my replacements I've had. I live in Australia so we only have the GSM version here.

1. Got a 4S Black 64GB at the Apple Store, factory unlocked. Was fine, but the volume buttons started to get loose. No problem, I didn't mind it. However, the battery would just go from 100% to 56% in just 3 hours. Asked Apple about it, they told me the battery might be defective from a diagnostics test. Serial if I remember was C38.

2. New replacement also started to have loose volume buttons. Was stiff at first, but started to get loose again but I didn't care. The home button was much more "clickier" for this one. First time using the front facing camera, the camera didn't work, but was okay after that. Realised that the front facing camera was a bit weird. It would make the expose really dark and wouldn't go back to bright, and the camera app would crash if you went from a really bright source to a dark and back and forth. This resulted in the camera app crashing and FaceTime calls ending. Apple said it was a hardware problem and replaced it. Serial was C39.

3. The first thing I noticed about the 3rd one is that the home button was recessed and was not flush with the glass display. Home button didn't really have a click feeling. Anyways, this phone had a REALLY yellow display. The blues were literally grey and white were really, really yellow. Other 4S may have only been a little yellow for me to notice but this display was so yellow that I had to notice. Went back to Apple and the Genius compared it to the display iPhone and they replaced it. Serial was C39.

4. This one really had a flush home button and really clicky home button. Screen was still yellow but not at the magnitude of the 3rd replacement. Was testing out the phone until I found a huge problem. The camera (back) wouldn't focus. The lens was stuck. Tapping would activate auto expose, but the lens wouldn't budge. Was I found was, that putting my hand close or any close object, the lens would need to move to the furthest position to focus on the close subject, so then a really loud click noise would come from the camera as if it finally clicked out of place. Then it would work. Close the camera, wait a few minutes and same thing again. Returned this one in a few days after but the serial was C something I think.

5. Current one. Finally a phone that doesn't seem to have a hardware problem. Screen is actually more blue but everything looks great without the yellow tinge. Going to the Apple store to compare this one to see if it is the same screen but it looks really nice. Serial starts with a D.

So yes, not the greatest iPhone experience for me. Cause me a lot of trouble even though I a 10-15 minute drive to my Apple store.

8. tony710, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

tony710 macrumors member

I bought mine last Sunday from an AT&T store (3/25) my first 3 of serial are: C8P

9. tennisproha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone else buy an iPhone 4S in March, or even late February?

eek! all the one's i have have had yellowish screens. as long as everything else works, I wont bother with it.
    I live in the US but I'm sure the policies are similar. I'm not sure if I should go back and tell them about the vibrator. what do you think?

Are you sure its not C38P or C28P?? just making sure :)

10. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

My yellow screened one (replacement 3) also had a loud vibrator, forgot the mention. But I ignored it and was more concerned about the yellow screen.

11. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Bought my iPhone 4s first week in March at an ATT store, C8W. Works perfectly ! Fit & finnish perfect so far.
    The screen is bluish, compared to my hardware color calibrated monitor that I use for color critical work. The color doesn't bother me though, it's just a phone. ;)

12. tony710 macrumors member

Just double checked, nope that was right. Checked in settings/general/about

13. Skinnyp19 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm buying a sealed black 4s iPhone 64GB factory unlocked off somebody . Anybody know how I can check the firmware by checking the serial number? Maybe the date of manufacturing ?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html/
    go to this site, type the serial number, it will tell you when it was produced. If before March, it is likely 5.0.1, if After April, it is definitely 5.1.

15. kocoman macrumors regular

What is the version if the manufacture date is ON the month of march ?

16. miragebg macrumors 6502a

I found that since the release date , the units starting with DN are generally better than those with C.. Just my personal observation..
    I am glad I didn't exchanged my otherwise perfect DNP from November , except Outgoing No Audio issue and calmly waited for ios 5.1 which resolved my only problem.

17. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

You got to look at the production week, so week 10-13 is the week of March

18. Skinnyp19 macrumors newbie

Bought a brand new sealed 4s in 64gb black with serial starting with dnp, production week 12(march) . Got a yellow screen and shipped with 5.1. Returned it for another one serial starting with c39 once again another yellow screen with 5.1. Now waiting for apple to send another phone hopefully with a blue tint screen and a jailbreakable device.