Brand new iPhone 5 defective...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BlockEight88, Mar 20, 2013.

1. BlockEight88 macrumors regular

Hi everyone!!! I am new to this site. Love Apple products and own many. Own an iPhone 4S myself and on Sunday I ordered an unlocked iPhone 5 for my girlfriend directly from Apple.com. Black 32GB. I was so excited all day to get the package. Anyway, package came and I took it out of the box and noticed a very loud thumping noise. Something is moving around in the phone. I am assuming its the battery? I do not live anywhere near an Apple store so I called them up. Got a very nice gal on the phone who was very apologetic. She said they would just refund me. Ok problem solved. However, afterwards I did some digging. I found out the iPhone 5 is the most problematic iPhone? I am very shocked to discover this. I just did a Google search on iphone 5 quality control. According to what I found, many people were receiving defective iPhones in Sep 2012 when it was first introduced. So you would think they would have QC under control by March 2013? Doesn't each iPhone have to go through quality control checks?

Anyway, I made a short video demonstrating the problem. As you can clearly see, I just took it out of the box and didn't remove the plastic screen covers on the front or back. This is just so upsetting. I am reluctant to purchase another iPhone after this. It seems like the iPhone 5 might be too hard to manufacture?

Check my video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSNjyJ3ll2A&feature=youtu.be

2. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

Seems like you're trying awfully hard to make it look like the iPhone came that way. I would bet you broke it in which case you will have to pay for a new iPhone.

3. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

It did!!! I would not waste anyone's time if it was my mistake. I am an honest person; I simply purchased an iPhone and received it with a loose part inside. My friend has dropped his iPhone 5 many times, and it might have a few nicks and scratches, but nevertheless, no moving part inside.

The only way it would make such a noise is if they banged the hell out of the package on the UPS truck or I dropped it on concrete. Funny how the phone doesn't have a scratch on it, so I have nothing to worry about.

Don't be so quick to judge someone. Apple is not perfect.

4. thehustleman macrumors 65816

5. Smartass macrumors 6502a

yeah thats right, he bought a new iphone, left the sticker on it, intentionally threw it around the room so he would break something and then went posting about it over here. Are you serious?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

But you need to remember that more iPhone 5's have been sold than any other iPhones in the first 6 months of launch. So by that perspective of course it will have the most amount of "defective" phones because there are so many more of them out there.

7. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

So it looks like I am not alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd7JQpBDyg8

----------

Absolutely. I am sure its a wonderful phone. Its definitely the most successful phone on the market right now, that's for sure. However, it is very bad that Apple is letting their QC slip. This company has always had a reputation for very strict quality control. This is the first time I have ever received a defective Apple product.

Own over 5 iPods, 3 iPad, 1 iPhone 4, 2 3GS, 1 4S, MBP, and an iMac, all which have been perfect, and held their own. But even Apple makes mistakes. I just find this one very careless. How could their quality control miss this?

8. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I don't think each phone gets inspected. That would be a huge amount of manpower give the millions being sold. They probably only inspect a sample from each batch. Like any production line, lemons will get through and you'll hear about it on the Internet.

Problems always look much worse on the Internet because people post when they are unhappy. Think about it, would you have made a macrumors account to tell us your new iPhone came without issue?

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

It happens...i actually had a loose battery in mine the 1st one i got...but i got a replacement and it was perfect after that

10. abz1981, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013

abz1981 macrumors 65816

This is such a lame aśs story. Just get over it. My iphone 5 ended up having a moving battery and the apple store just replaced it.

I seriouslly think you should just sell the iPhone 5 and get a droid your clearly not happy with this apple iphone. I don't think you should buy any more apple products as they are clearly not for you.

11. Ann P macrumors 68020

You can either give it another try, or move on to another phone. It's really not a big deal. None of my family or friends have experienced a defective iphone 5, but that doesn't mean there aren't some in the wild. Heck, they all come with a one year warranty anyway. Don't stress. :)

12. BlockEight88 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know if I can take you seriously or not, yeah definitely not. What are you, 12, 13???

Apple products are not for me because one came defective? Hmmmm Yeah you need to get over yourself and your Apple fanboism!

13. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

I got the same thing with a replacement Apple sent me. The battery wasn't seated in adhesive properly, so therefore it was banging around inside the housing of the phone itself. Called Apple and they sent me a brand new sealed retail box for my troubles. New one is fine. And yeah, Foxconn has said the iPhone 5 is by far the most difficult device they've ever assembled.

----------

Are you insane?

----------

Look harder. They're out there.

14. Darryjr macrumors regular

Darryjr

I have been on many many forums and I have to say this one has some of the nastiest, rude people u gave ever encountered. You have people coming here with legitimate issues and questions. What do they get? 50% of a$$h@le sarcastic answers. Really, if your not going to contribute with a helpful reply , why bother taking the time to type? I just don't get it, I've seen so many on here and finally I had to take the time to chime in......

15. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Welcome to the Apple lottery and to Macrumors. It's fun here.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

For someone who has had so many flawless products from Apple, wouldn't you say that the declaration that this single bad experience makes you second guess ever buying another iPhone from Apple again, ever ever, is a bit of overkill? This is why people are reacting negatively to you.

Apple is pumping out literally tens of millions of these things over its product cycle. Even assuming a 0.1% defect rate (which is nearly impossible to acheive in even the most stringent of QC standards), that means that some tens of thousands will end up with some kind of defect. The law of averages means that eventually, you're going to end up getting one of these duds. It happens.

And no, this is nothing new for Apple. Look at the links of my sig, and do your own searching. Apple has been far from infallible, even during Steve Jobs' best years of good health. So using this one bad apple (pardon the pun) as factor in pondering whether you'll buy Apple again is a bit of an overreaction.

Your energy is better spent going to an Apple store and getting it swapped out for a replacement, and putting the experience behind you.

17. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

And I think you need to call your English teacher and get a refund.

18. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Just get the refund and buy another iPhone 5? You most likely received a bad unit. If you don't feel like getting another one buy an android device. It's really not that hard to figure out.

19. blkjedi954 macrumors member

blkjedi954

Google Quality control only brings up the scratching of the aluminum body. You seem like you're purposely attempting to mislead people into believing the iPhone 5 has serious build quality issues when it is the farthest from the truth. Apple has consistently made the best products as it is rated 3 to 4 times higher than its closest competitor in reliability and build quality. So save your Dooms day outlook on Apple and get the refund and buy another.

20. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Welcome to the party...in all honesty I've had no major issue with my iPhone 5 other than complaints about battery life. They claim 8-10 hours and I can't see that ever happening!

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

22. jw77777 macrumors member

BlockEight88: I also received an iPhone like that in September. The first week actually. I just went to the store, and they swapped it out. Unfortunately, it happens. It was definitely the battery though. After a few other ones that were defective (scratches and stuff) i have a good one. the only thing i would complain about is the battery. i'm still holding out for a fix from Apple on that! maybe one day... but overall, it's a great phone! you'll forget about the bad experiences, and they'll just ship you a new one.

23. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Im sure they are out there but I see at least 5 iphone 5s a day at work (activations) but quality control is great

24. CEO of apple macrumors newbie

The sweat shops in china must be over working the children this month to catch up on backorders ! What u here in your phone is probably the child's lunch for the day in your phone!

25. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

In store, fresh out of the box, most of them are going to appear flawless and most giddy customers won't care to inspect further. To honestly be considered non-defective though it needs to go through a series of tests over time. I have my own methods. So far, only one iPhone of mine has passed - an iPhone 4 from 2.5 years ago. Of the four iPhone 4S's and four iPhone 5's I've bought, all failed. Seven out of the eight were screen related defects that would never have been noticed in store because of either the bright ambient lighting conditions or it took time to develop (i.e., dead pixels). YMMV