Brand New Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro for $1700 worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hollabackdude, May 6, 2015.

1. hollabackdude macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently purchased a New Late 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro with the following specs:

16GB Ram
    512GB SSD
    2.3GHz Core i7 Processor
    Nvidia GT 750m

It was on clearance for $1700. I was just wondering if this is a good investment for a laptop that will last for a while. I can't find it refurbished on the Apple Store and on eBay, It seems to be selling for a lot more.

Thanks for the response.

2. kingtj macrumors 68020

Why not?

I'm using one just like this right now and it's a great machine.
    16GB of RAM is, IMO, plenty for any of the things you'd seriously attempt to do on a portable computer in OS X for the foreseeable future -- and the 512GB SSD is upgradable (if not inexpensively), should that become an issue. (It takes the same 1TB SSD they use in the current Mac Pro workstation.)

Someone will *always* give you some reason why it won't be or isn't good enough for specific use-case X or Y. But realistically, even on the Windows PC side of things? My workplace has old Dell laptops from 2008 that we've just gotten around to taking out of service. Those were using Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, which definitely feel slow by today's standards - but were still completely viable/usable a couple years ago. With the MacBook Pro you're asking about here -- you've got a Core i7 inside which is multiple generations ahead of the Core 2 Duo series CPU. Expecting it to get the job done for the next 3-4 years is completely reasonable the way I see it.

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah I would say that it is a very capable machine. If you are able to get it brand new and you have the option of adding extended applecare, then I would say go for it. The thing has plentyyyyyy of power under the hood and I imagine will easily last 4 years for you (barring accidents and what not). The reason I mention the extended applecare is because the repairability of these machines is horrible and it should help to protect your investment.

If you cannot get extended applecare, you can find better prices on such a machine, even if used. You may be able to buy a used one for $1500-1600 that has exntended applecare on it already and is in excellent condition. I found a few like that when shopping around.

4. Aloko macrumors newbie

Aloko

This is a beast, Im using it everyday for photo and video editing (PS, Lr5 and FCPX mainly) and it's really a more than capable machine.

the price you have is very good IMHO, bought the exact same laptop refurb a year ago for 2150€.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ebay prices will start to dip due to the updates, but this still seems like a reasonable purchase. Ram is now 16GB standard, so you can get that on any of the update models.