Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocketbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I purchased my very first Mac today, the new 13" MacBook Intel DuoCore. All was well until this evening.

After shutting down, I noticed a little white sleep light had appeared at the front of the machine, which did not occur when I had shut down previously.

I read an older post about Macs being suspended in limbo if closed too quickly before completing the shutdown process. I suppose I can avoid this by waiting a little longer before I close the lid next time.

In the meantime, I can't power up my Mac. The screen is black, and there is no response when I press the power button. The power adapter is showing an orange alert light where it is normally green, and the white sleep indicator on the front is still glowing away. (Mocking me, I think.)

Can anyone offer any advice so I can avoid the ultimate embarrassment of having to go to the Apple store and ask them how to turn my computer on? Heh.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Ashley Ann

quruli

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Pull the plug and the battery. Put the battery back in. Press Power. Pray. Lots of P's :D

rocketbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Simple enough. It worked! Thank you very much. =) Any idea why this occurs? I definitely gave it a good 15 seconds before I closed the lid on it, as I'm used to doing that with my PC, so I'm really surprised it happened.

rocketbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
chasemac said:
Have you tried to hold the power button down for ten seconds to see what happens?

It didn't respond when I held it down, but I popped the battery and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks though!

rocketbox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Frisco said:
Just call Applecare. Forget about the embarsement!

Hee hee, it's just as embarrassing to have to call Applecare! I don't want to be one of 'those' customers that tech support workers all talk about around the water cooler. =D I figured I'd open it up to the general public first. I've been making a fool of myself anonymously over the internet since I was 16!

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
FYI, I have an ibook and never shut it down. I just close the lid and let it sleep. The battery drain is very low when doing this and I rarely shut down unless I have too.:) I doubt you would need to with your brand new MacBook!! Lucky!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
chasemac said:
FYI, I have an ibook and never shut it down. I just close the lid and let it sleep. The battery drain is very low when doing this and I rarely shut down unless I have too.:) I doubt you would need to with your brand new MacBook!! Lucky!

yeah i do the same, i never shut down unless i just have to

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
My MacBook Pro fails to wake up from sleep all the time.

It's quite annoying... anyone know a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.