Brand new Macbook Pro with iLife...and no iDVD?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sjcharles, Feb 16, 2012.

1. sjcharles macrumors newbie

I just had the most frustrating experience last night. Been Mac user for 5 years...always had iLife. Bought a new Macbook Pro a month ago to replace an older one. My son had a project where I had make a short video. It was to be be such as easy task. Take video with iPhone 4S, edit with iMovie, Burn to DVD (required for school) with iDVD as I had done many times before.

...The new Macbook Pro did not come with iDVD installed!! Damn..I'll grab it off the App Store as project is due in the morning (it is now 8:30pm)..it is not on the App Store? I can't believe tha Apple no longer has iDVD part of iLife..or anyway to get it? I had to spend the next 2 hours looking a suitable 3rd party program..ranging from $40 to $100 (free ones I could find did not work with Lion) to do what I have always been able to do with a Macbook Pro with iLife. Sure..I can understand not installing iDVD with a Macbook Air...but most people buy Macbook Pro's as they need the drive (or the power).

Anyway..what should be been an easy project turned into a nightmare.

Thanks Apple...time to reconsider my fanboy status.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is only included with the boxed version of iLife in Apple Retail Stores. Not sure how that makes any sense... but there it is.

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I think it will be a good thing when you're no longer a fanboy. It's good to be rational.

You could turn to the "dark side" and get iDVD somewhere on the internet.

Also, isn't youtube an option? Don't schools have projectors/tv's everywhere? If they want the file, you could still burn a file onto DVD, they just need to use a computer to play the file.

4. sjcharles thread starter macrumors newbie

I could not even find iLife '11 on the Apple Online store.

I did find an iLife '11 Family Pack at Amazon for $38...so I figured I would pick that up before it becomes unavailable totally.

The school is in a small town that doesn't have a lot of technology in their favor...so DVDs are still the way they handle things there.

I know Apple is in the forefront of stopping support for 'old technology', but I had just kinda thought they would leave a way to burn DVD's still in the Media Package that they want us all to use as at lot of people still use DVDs. The cloud has more turn into a nightmare for me every time I use it, perphaps it's time for sunnier days.

5. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

You have a license for iLife with the purchase of your Mac, so do yourself a favor and just find the app online from a torrent site. There are lots of people that have reported getting free iLife 11 discs from Apple after complaining about this very problem.

OR if you have any old iLife discs or recovery discs for a Mac prior to Lion you could install iDVD using Pacifist. Pacifist is a free app that would let you explore the individual installation packages on a iLife recovery disc to specifically install iDVD.

I agree that they really should offer it on the app store, especially since they sell the external superdrive for Macbook airs.

6. Somian macrumors member

Somian

Hm… it'll still be there f you restore your new mac using a time machine backup from the old one ;)

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

This is the best statement I've read in a very long time :)

Rational, relaxed, and pleasant are sadly missing from Fanboy characteristics.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Macs come with a standard license for iLife, which is now delivered through the App Store. Open it up and you'll see 3 "updates" to accept. However, it does not include iDVD as Apple has moved beyond optical drives. Expect the next MacBook Pros to get rid of them (at least internal drives). That's one price of being on the Apple bandwagon. When they are done with a technology, they are DONE with it.

If you still have your old Mac, you should have iDVD on it and can migrate the program to your new Mac. I still have it, having migrated from the original MacBook Air (which shipped with it, even though it never came standard with an optical drive), though I have never used it.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Might get a few extras with that too :)

10. techfest macrumors member