Brand new Macbook pro with oil, skin fragments on screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, May 10, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Bought a brand new Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.0ghz from Best Buy today... Everything seemed in order, seal on the box was unbroken... Seal on the plastic around the laptop itself inside the box was unbroken... However, i open the screen up and there are smudges, and little dots that look like skin particles on the screen!

I took it back to Best Buy, and the tech guy there told me that they are having a QC issue at the factory and not properly cleaning the screens before boxing them up. He also said the little particles could have came off the foam insert in between the screen and the keyboard.

I went ahead and grabbed the cleaning cloth and was able to wipe everything off, but it took me a good 15 minutes of wiping to get all the oils off the screen...

I guess I should have demanded they grab another brand new one and unbox it in the store, but I'm sure now that I wiped it off, it will be fine, I don't see any scratches on the screen..

Anyone else have this happen? Kind of blows me away on an $1800 dollar computer that it would come that way from the factory! My last 2 MBP's did not...

2. Locodice macrumors regular

Kinda sounds like a second hand macbook pro......

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Almost huh?

The only thing that convinces me otherwise is the battery is on it's 1st cycle... If someone else had used this machine and already plugged it in, it would have more then 1 cycle on the battery.

Out of the box, the battery was 70% charged.. Not sure if that's how they come from the factory normally.

4. Locodice macrumors regular

Well, if you're happy with it and there are no issues, try and put it to the back of your mind.

Does sound a bit fishy though.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Take it back, they'll replace it, it'll go to Apple for refurb, where some lucky person will be very happy, in fact you'd have a new one by now it the time you posted all this:cool:

6. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Look up the serial number on support.apple.com and see the date it was purchased. If it matches the day you purchased it (give or take one day), then it is indeed a qc issue.

On Apple's website, it will tell you when the warranty is up. Subtract one year from that, and you will know when it was purchased.

Warranty checker link: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

7. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bingo, it's brand new, never been registered... I guess what you're saying is that when most people turn the machine on for the first time they don't skip the "register this mac" screen and they enter their info which then sends it to apple and they have record of the new owner...

I'm happy with it, everything works perfectly, so I'm not going to complain... The only thing that I didn't like is that I did get a 3gbps sata port on the superdrive... But I think having dual 6gbs SSD drives is a bit overkill for my needs, so I'm not going to worry about that. ;)

1 more hour until time machine is done restoring all my goodies... Can't wait to see how seamless time machine restores all my stuff..

And 2 more weeks until my PC goes in the closet... Will probably take that long for me to migrate everything off... ;)