Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huztlar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Feeling like a complete moron right now.

A week ago, I was really pleased to receive my new upgraded Macbook Pro Retina, and had it delivered with a hardcase.

Having found a great padded crumpler bag online, I ordered it and expected it early next week, but in the mean time I've been going to an from work with it in the hardcase, in my backpack.

Today, in possibly the most unfortunate circumstances, the strap on my backpack snapped (new backpack) and my new MBP slammed into the fresh car park floor. The concreate cut through the corner of the bag, and just so typically, into the only corner of the mac the hardcase doesn't provide complete protection. (if only I have put the mac in the backpack the other way round..)

The damage cosmetically, really isn't dreadful, although I'm seriously pissed at myself & the seemingly stupid circumstances. I'm also really worried that I may have internally damaged this £2500 beauty as the fall was from quite some height and the impact seemed so forceful.

I have insurance that covers my all my kit, (cameraman) including my macbook, as well as 3 years applecare.

If anyone is able to offer me any advice on what they would do in this situation I would be really grateful.

Idiotic feeling fool, signing out.

Picture:
http://imgur.com/GPXE8

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

A week ago, I was really pleased to receive my new upgraded Macbook Pro Retina, and had it delivered with a hardcase.

Having found a great padded crumpler bag online, I ordered it and expected it early next week, but in the mean time I've been going to an from work with it in the hardcase, in my backpack.

Today, in possibly the most unfortunate circumstances, the strap on my backpack snapped (new backpack) and my new MBP slammed into the fresh car park floor. The concreate cut through the corner of the bag, and just so typically, into the only corner of the mac the hardcase doesn't provide complete protection. (if only I have put the mac in the backpack the other way round..)

The damage cosmetically, really isn't dreadful, although I'm seriously pissed at myself & the seemingly stupid circumstances. I'm also really worried that I may have internally damaged this £2500 beauty as the fall was from quite some height and the impact seemed so forceful.

I have insurance that covers my all my kit, (cameraman) including my macbook, as well as 3 years applecare.

If anyone is able to offer me any advice on what they would do in this situation I would be really grateful.

Picture:

Sorry that happened. I would run a hardware test to see if the computer recognizes any potential failures, then I would go to the Apple store and see if a genius is willing to hook you up with a possible fix.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
and see if a genius is willing to hook you up with a possible fix.

Of which Applecare isn't one, as it doesn't cover accidental damage unfortunately. Looking at the picture only true fix I see is to replace the case, on a retina will be $$ I'm sure.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Of which Applecare isn't one, as it doesn't cover accidental damage unfortunately. Looking at the picture only true fix I see is to replace the case, on a retina will be $$ I'm sure.

Mine was fixed when I dropped it, it didn't cost me a dime and I didn't even have Applecare. You never know what the geniuses are willing to do for a customer.

pcgeek12345

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
New Jersey
I would explain to the backpack manufacturer what happened. It's not your fault the strap broke.

Still, it's a very hard place to be in.

slirak

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
I don't know what I'd really do if that actually happened to me.

But I suspect that even if the internals of the rMBP wasn't damaged in the drop (which is quite possible given there's no mechanical stuff in it), IF something would go bad during your three Applecare years, there's a risk that Apple would just say - "obviously you've dropped it, so we won't cover it". So what I'm saying is, it might be wise to take it to the store for repairs, risking that you might have to use your insurance to cover the cost, in order to protect your investment in Applecare.

Aug 5, 2012
If you're going to be carrying expensive items around you need to invest in quality luggage.

Regular checks of all straps, handles and locks is essential

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Maybe.. If you are lucky..

Ouch.. Very sorry to hear that occurred..

That being said, depending upon HOW you paid for it, you may have some Accident Insurance with various Credit Card Companies for a specified time after purchase.. If that is a possible scenario, I would certainly go that way first.. :apple:

Here's to hoping for Better and Safer times ahead, they are GREAT Machines and tougher than they look in many ways too.. but as always, the first scar HURTS!! :eek:

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
Sorry to hear that but just to give you comfort, don't sweat it that much. Some things are just meant to happen. Just think that if that weren't to happen, something else bad was going to happen.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Mine was fixed when I dropped it, it didn't cost me a dime and I didn't even have Applecare. You never know what the geniuses are willing to do for a customer.

Yes you did. It comes with a year of Apple Care unless you bought your retina MBP in October 2011. ;)

But, yes. You are lucky that the Genius repaired the cosmetic damage. Its not within the boundaries of what he's allowed to do unless he got permission from a store manager.

Bez59

macrumors regular
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
If it is a new backpack it shouldn't of broken so i think you should take it back say you want your money back and they will have to buy you a new rMBP:D

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Yes you did. It comes with a year of Apple Care unless you bought your retina MBP in October 2011. ;)

But, yes. You are lucky that the Genius repaired the cosmetic damage. Its not within the boundaries of what he's allowed to do unless he got permission from a store manager.

Yep, they replaced the case and bottom plate. To top it off a week after they replaced everything my HDD, microphone, and camera failed all at once. I took it back and told them this happened either because the techs messed up putting everything back together, or as a result of the drop the HDD failed along with other hardware. To my surprise they gave me a whole new machine no questions asked. They said that three hardware failures at once indicates a lemon machine. I told him it's probably because of the drop a week ago. He was sympathetic and gave me a whole new machine.

It all depends on how you approach the situation. Some people go in there and demand a replacement because they think Apple owes them something. If you go in there and be honest they are more willing to help. Yes, my computer was a month old so it was under the original warranty. Sometimes they are even more willing to help if they know that you spent the extra cash to extend AppleCare.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Picture:

It sucks that you dropped it, but I've seen much worse damage from a drop.

I don't want to come off as rude, but the first thing I thought was "chicks dig scars." ;)

duky

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
North Carolina

My advice/what I would do: Be happy that nothing worse happened and move on with life. If the computer is working, and screen isn't cracked or anything I'd feel pretty damn grateful after a fall like that. Glad your computer is still working.

Having said that, if you want to know your options:
1) Go to Apple and make up some functional issue with the computer and hope they replace it -- might luck out with a replacement (this actually worked for me once except luckily I didn't make anything up -- I actually had an issue with a less than 2 week old computer and they gave me a new one)
2) Go to Apple and explain what happened and ask their help -- probably won't do anything
3) Call the bag company and tell them what happened -- maybe you'll get a free bag but I doubt they'd do much about the computer
4) Get some beers, invite some friends over and have yourself a good night. You'll probably forget about it with time
5) Try and get the MacBook replaced through your insurance company -- I have no idea what the terms of your insurance say so God knows if anything will come of that

Good luck!

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah, that sucks... But if everything seems to be working well, I have to agree with above posters - just live with it. Not that big of a deal but I realize that it hurts since it's new.

THAT BEING SAID, my biggest concern would be Applecare. There's a decent chance that Apple won't repair anything using that blemish as an excuse. I would go to the Apple store, and get a definitive answer on this (talk to a genius). If that's true, insist on getting your applecare money back. You're within your return period, anyway.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
It depends on your insurance policy (assuming you have one for your business) I would see about getting it replaced if the deductible is within $300 or so. I know that would bother the crap out of me.

Fellow photographer here as well so I feel your pain.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, that sucks... But if everything seems to be working well, I have to agree with above posters - just live with it. Not that big of a deal but I realize that it hurts since it's new.

THAT BEING SAID, my biggest concern would be Applecare. There's a decent chance that Apple won't repair anything using that blemish as an excuse. I would go to the Apple store, and get a definitive answer on this (talk to a genius). If that's true, insist on getting your applecare money back. You're within your return period, anyway.

AppleCare is refundable at any time, it is simply prorated.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

You are certainly the exception, and not the rule. You can't have an expectation that Applecare will fix it, as it is indeed a non-covered repair which is where I was .

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
You are certainly the exception, and not the rule. You can't have an expectation that Applecare will fix it, as it is indeed a non-covered repair which is where I was .

But is it unreasonable to take it to the Apple Store and show the geniuses? Everybody knows that accidental damage is not covered. Sometimes the genius will hook you up, which is what I said in my op. That particular store I went to has great customer service, I suspect not all stores are identical. Rules are meant to be broken, decisions like these are up to the store manager. For how expensive these machines are I would certainly take up my advice if I was the OP.

zakee00

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2004
If you're going to be carrying expensive items around you need to invest in quality luggage.

Regular checks of all straps, handles and locks is essential

Thanks for that worthwhile addition to the thread.

If it's working, I'd count my blessings and just deal with it. It's a scratch.

If it's not working, try any of the above avenues that you feel like pursuing.

Aug 5, 2012
Thanks for that worthwhile addition to the thread.

If it's working, I'd count my blessings and just deal with it. It's a scratch.

If it's not working, try any of the above avenues that you feel like pursuing.

You're welcome

You as well. Always good to suggest reading other peoples posts.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
But is it unreasonable to take it to the Apple Store and show the geniuses?

Oh, definitely not. Worth a try. But if they don't replace it for free the expectation of Applecare fixing it needs to be understood. I threw it out there because the OP made a point of the "I have Applecare" line when it was really irrelevant to the problem at hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.