Brand new MBP "tink" or "rattle" or "clink" or...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deputy_doofy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

...call it what you will. There is a sound -- you know -- THIS sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJmpervXe9M) and it's driving you (and me) crazy.

How many people have this problem with a stock configuration (meaning, you didn't customize your MBP in any way)?

I have a MacBook Pro here at work, and it seems to be the standard configuration for the 15" Core i7 (no hard drive, screen, RAM upgrades) and I cannot get it to make the sound no matter how warm it is and no matter how much I shake it or push on or near the trackpad.

Mine, on the other hand, did have all those things upgraded (hard drive -> 7200, RAM, Hi-Res). The sound is annoying but, more importantly, just trying to figure out if someone is just not tightening stuff up after making internal changes.

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Is that when the machine is sat still? as I was gonna say it might be the shock protection system, the headers slamming shut,

3. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I can't say it was sitting still. More on my chest while I'm in bed, surfing or doing whatever, so there's minor movement. It tends to happen a lot when pressing on the trackpad (or even near it).

My older MBP from 2006, which also has the SMS, has never even remotely made this noise.

I'm finding numerous reports of this "problem" and I'm more curious to see if affects CTO owners or everyone. I can't make it happen on the Core i7 MBP here at work.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Its been Covered extensively on this forum....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=906536

What it is...there are two bracket arms in the middle that hold the bottom casing in place along with the screws. I have also noticed it when being in "couch" mode. Nothing I have done has fixed it. I can also replicate it by letting the laptop sit on my desk, coming up to it, and pushing downward slightly.

Sucks, but oh well.

5. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I know. I've read this in a lot of places and even replied, but I guess I was more curious if it's shoddiness of CTO, rather than a regular stock purchase. I'm not going to return it or try to replace it, but it is quite annoying. I suppose it will "go away" in the same way as the one stuck pixel "went away" on my 2006 MBP.

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Actually, it didn't turn out to be the brackets causing the problem. I know I was a big proponent of that theory, but i was wrong (as I said later in the thread you linked to.)

Everyone having this problem, the cause of the sound has been found and it's an easy solution. Have a look:

http://tenonedesign.com/blog/fix-your-macbook-pro-like-a-champ/

I removed that piece a few days ago and have not heard that annoying sound since. :D

7. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm sure that will be the endgame of the noise for me as well and I appreciate the info!

Out of curiosity, did you do a customized order? Also, do you think it's possible to tighten that piece as well?

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes, it was a custom order. Core i7 Hi-res anti-glare.

It's not that the piece is loose, it's the metal contacts protruding from it to the casing (which are there be design) that make the annoying noise.

9. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

What size screwdriver did you have to use? I found the smallest one we have at work and it was still too large (and this is an IT department). :/

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

11. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Thanks. I just found one after harassing our "Mac" guy. I even took their MBP apart to see the part in question. I didn't realize how small it was -- also needs the Phillips size 0, I see.

THIS MBP, however, does not make the noise, so I was hoping to see its characteristics and check against mine, which I'll be doing tomorrow.

12. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Didn't feel like waiting. I removed that little piece tonight. Will report back shortly if I hear no more "tinks."

Edit: So far, so good. I really hope it doesn't need that piece for any reason because my laptop is finally quiet! :)

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Please let us know soon, my new 15" Core i5 does this sound too. It's a CTO with the upgraded 500GB 7200RPM HDD and Hi-Res Antiglare screen. I notice that it's much more noticeable when I have the computer sitting on a pad that causes static electricity, when I just place the computer on a standard table with nothing under the computer the sound is very minimal. I just hate removing things out of the computer that came from the factory that way but if this fixes it I will be doing it too, thanks for your help. :)

EDIT: just saw you edited your post with your results. Well that sounds good but I'm just concerned about removing that part. Thanks.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So far so good with mine. I've had it out for a few days now and it doesn't seem to have made any difference other than getting rid of that stupid sound.

The guy who figured it out doesn't seem too worried:

So it seems this piece might be superfluous or redundant anyway. I'm an engineer and I'm not worried :)

15. deputy_doofy thread starter macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'm not going to worry. Besides, if there's a time to mess with the machine, it's while it's new and under warranty. lol

This is great. I love the silence! MBHockey, thanks for your help.

HLdan, I was hesitant about it at first, but I have to tell you, I'm glad the noise is gone. I was trying to ignore it but it was impossible to do. More than likely, it has more than one grounding piece. Either that or my laptop will fry within the next few months. :p