Brand New rMBPs: 2.3GHz w/ GT 750M or 2.6GHz w/o?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samaero, Oct 22, 2013.

1. samaero macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm stuck deciding which of the new rMBPs to get. I'll be using the computer for work as my main music editing rig, using Pro Tools. Because of this, the quad core models and 16GB ram are a given.

B&H has the 2.3GHz / 512GB Drive / 16GB Ram / GT750M out the door for $2,600 (no tax in CA!).

Apple website has a custom build of the 2.6GHz / 256GB drive / 16GB ram with no discrete graphics for $2727 out the door.

What I'm not sure about is whether the upgrade from a 2.3GHz processor to the 2.6GHz in the custom build is going to be noticeable enough to justify the higher price and lack of discrete graphics. I can live with the smaller hard drive. I'm torn - which of those builds would offer me more value for the money? If B&H stocked the 2.6GHz build, that'd be a no-brainer for me.

Thanks in advance!

-Sam

2. foxkoneko, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

foxkoneko macrumors 6502

Im pretty much wondering something similar but for video editing.

Edit Nvm ;)

3. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

I would recommend you to get the one from B&H since I'm pretty sure the difference between a 2.3GHz processor and a 2.6GHz is pretty insignificant unless you really push your computer to the max and even that might not show a big difference in performance. I wouldn't get a Macbook Pro unless it has a discrete graphics card imo.

4. samaero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses, guys. B&H just stocked the 2.3GHz / 16GB / no discrete GFX card, which sounds like it's the winner for me!

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

I would go for the B&H offer in your situation.

6. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I am not certain, but someone was saying yesterday that if you get a 2.6Ghz you automatically get a dGPU. Might be worth checking out if it is important to you.