Brand spanking new imac

jipper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Hello mac-heads,
Just thought i would brag and tell everyone how excited i am. My blueberry iBook is about to have a sibling. A brand new iMac with super-mega drive. Who's going to be burning dvds? Answer: me.
Wheeeeeeeee!!!!
Can't wait.
I'll be interested to see how much better the G4 is than the G3.
Tim.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
enjoy it.

my parents got a 700. they just don't need the superdrive or extra speed...

however, it was a little sluggish at times. i'd recommend cramming it with RAM if you can. my parents only have 384... ONLY. ha...

it's a damn fine machine to use and look at though.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Congrad!!!!!!
I absolutely love my imac, I got the 700 with 512ram and it screams ( well maybe not)
Enjoy it and you will soon realise that you won't burn that many DVDs
I know beej hasn't burn one yet but you maybe different
Anyways enjoy

Paolo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
DVD burning!!!

How is it done?
DVD burning that is, I can't seem to find DVD's that fit a full (as in movie) DVD on them... it's sort of annoying me, is there some sort of compression that I'm completely oblivious to?

Paolo

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Re: DVD burning!!!

Originally posted by Paolo
How is it done?
DVD burning that is, I can't seem to find DVD's that fit a full (as in movie) DVD on them... it's sort of annoying me, is there some sort of compression that I'm completely oblivious to?

Paolo
well, it totally depends on how you're doing it.

if you're using idvd, then you can only burn an hour's worth as far as i know...

if you're using dvd studio pro, you can work it out so that you compress the file down to 4.3 gigs mpeg 2 format at whatever the highest quality is that allows that size... which you could do in fcp... but that's if you have those apps.

that's what i use, but i'm sure someone here has more experience with idvd and such...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by iGAV
Cleaner, and encode as MPEG 2....... simplicity itself...... ;)
the only question is, what quality can he do it at if he's going to be burning a pretty large movie...?

i recently made a 2.5 hour video i was working on fit onto a dvd at about... 4.x bitrate i believe...

does cleaner allow you to choose bitrate and stuff? and does it tell you the resulting file size accordingly? i know fcp does...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's the one thing I'm really looking forward to is burning DVDs. I'll have to wait a while though, I'm not going to be getting a new machine until next year.

But congrats jipper!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.