"Brave man who stood up to Munich shooter now facing prosecution for 'INSULTING killer'"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by cfedu, Sep 2, 2016.

1. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/696646/Thomas-Salbey-Munich-shooter-Ali-Sonboly-prosecution

I feel for the people of Germany with such incompetent leaders.

2. ucfgrad93, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good grief, this has to be a story from The Onion.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

4. cube macrumors G5

Please, not express.co.uk. This is the worst Brexit rag.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The only charge I think that they could possibly investigate him for is antagonising the coward with the danger of him inflicting more terror. But even then I doubt it would stick. Common sense will prevail I'm sure.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Is that something you can be charged for in the UK?

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

No idea, I doubt it. Inciting violence maybe but this guy wasnt intending that.

8. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

How is someone shouting insults from his balcony "brave"?

Noone will eber know wether his exchange with that attacket changed things for the better,worse or none at all.

9. Limey77 macrumors regular

I can't find any reputable source for this story nor any actual quotes from the German prosecutors. So given the very poor reputation of the Express ill withhold judgment on this for a while.

I will add that from what I know of the case I can't see anything he could be successfully prosecuted for. But we may not know the full story.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

One guy had just killed multiple people and still had a weapon on him. The other guy was throwing righteous verbal insults.

11. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Germans need to grow some balls and take back their country.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

While you might consider this "antagonizing" the perp, at the same time it was possibly also distracting him from potentially going off and killing more. While the offensive language and content isn't exactly the language of what hostage negotiator or psychologist would use, this guy isn't trained as one. And as crass as the exchange is there are bits and pieces I think that would lead the kid to reflect upon what he is doing. Frankly, this was a heat of the moment exchange, the kids is going around killing people and firing off rounds... yelling profanities isn't exactly an unnatural response.

I'm sure common sense and I imagine public outrage will prevail. Who knows what impact the exchange had, if any, but "insulting the dead" is a pretty laughable charge. It's not like he's being charged with inciting violence.

Let's say the guy on the balcony had a gun and tried to shoot him but missed. Would they be charging him with attempted murder or inciting violence (by escalating gun use)?

13. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

The shooter was German

14. Limey77 macrumors regular

As I've said, we don't know enough yet about this "investigation" to make any judgements.

And people saying that Germany "needs to grow some balls..." clearly show a lack of higher reasoning. For all we know when this guy threw his beer bottle he hit a kid in the face who is now blinded for life. Now I doubt it, because we probably would have heard, BUT we don't know! We don't know why he's being investigated or for what - it is simply too early to say.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree. However, a simple timeline could establish whether anybody was shot after his encounter. If no one was shot, then he didn't make things worse. I also have to believe that any time spent yelling is less time spent shooting, therefore having the effect of making things better.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 2, 2016 ---
    Likewise my search came up blank. My initial impression is that it's a false story.

I look forward to some corroboration.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

What and have a civil war? lol

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I didn't realise the Express covered anything other than Brexit, Princess Diana and Madaline McCann. Who knew?

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Don't forget the 'anti police' modus operandi too lol.

19. cube macrumors G5

This falls in the Brexit category.

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This story has the text of their "conversation", for those who are interested.

Sounds like Salbey unleashed a pretty hateful salvo at the gunman, but for crying out loud, it was in the performance of trying to distract him from harming others.

It's a BS charge and I don't see it going anywhere.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It may well be a BS story. The one thing I read that may explain it, is that his encounter is part of the entire investigation, and there are aspects which could be prosecutable. However, I too couldn't imagine someone actually going after him over it. Like you, I don't see it going anywhere.

22. cube macrumors G5

The Telegraph keeps on being almost as annoying.

It would seem that Brexit is not a sure thing no matter what May might say.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 3, 2016 ---
    welt.de has at least 3 proper articles on the subject (no CAPS).

23. SHNXX macrumors 68000

Angela Merkel is showing what a great female leader she is!
    She is a tough leader, not afraid to come down hard on anything, including free speech.

24. cube macrumors G5

This is not about free speech, but about whether he put other people in danger.

25. Limey77 macrumors regular

Personally I'm still not sure what the basis for the investigation is. Sure some of his language was inflammatory and yes he threw the beer bottle - but I'd believe that both are perfectly excusable given the circumstances.

I'll still withhold final judgment until I can find a reputable English language source. But my gut suggests that this is just a formality, that the authorities have to investigate based on some complaint and that nothing will come from it (at least I hope not).