Bravo Mr. President - Offshore Oil Exploration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IntheNet, Mar 31, 2010.

1. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

When he does something right I want to be the first to note it - a good move here by President and one that goes against his campaign rhetoric but is right for the nation - The GOP will support Obama here and jobs will be created! Good!

Obama to Open Offshore Areas to Oil Drilling for First Time
    By JOHN M. BRODER
    Published: March 30, 2010
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/science/earth/31energy.html
    WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is proposing to open vast expanses of water along the Atlantic coastline, the eastern Gulf of Mexico and the north coast of Alaska to oil and natural gas drilling, much of it for the first time, officials said Tuesday.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Drill baby drill.

I agree with IntheNet.

No, it's not April 1st yet. :D

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Will the GOP support this as part of a bi-partisan compromise on climate/environmental legislation that also includes expansion of nuclear power?

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I almost couldn't believe it when I read this yesterday. But, it is a good thing.

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Exansion of nuclear power I don't have a problem with. But if cap and trade makes a showing, I'd rather see drilling cut off than compromise.

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Fantastic news! :)

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They won't support anything Obama does. Just watch, they'll find a way to complain.

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I would rather hear Obama promose something like a Super Grid, much like they are proposing here in Europe. This massive grid will spread across northern Europe to start and would link renuable energy sources together such as wind power, and hopefully help decrease the demand for foreign oil.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

So how long until we see the this oil( prices won't go lower until we see oil being pumped out which will take awhile...) and how much will this delay our progress to get off oil? The money that is going to be spent to drill oil could have been spent to make solar, wind, and more green( not exactly nuclear....) ways to produce electricity viable.

Though I can see why people support it in getting off foreign oil.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Decades. THere isn't much left outside of areas already designated. Calif. will not allow any drilling regardless.

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Absolute douchebag move by the administration. The amount of oil/gas the USA will get from this increased domestic drilling won't nearly be enough to lower oil prices in the world market. It'll take 10 years or longer to get these new drilling platforms & oil refineries up and running.

More pandering to the obstructionists on the other side.

Of course not. Compromise is not in their vocabulary.

Edit: If this is bundled with the climate change bill, then why not.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You say it like that's a bad thing. This should have been opened up years ago but better late than never. And besides, this administration wants to create jobs. No government subsidy is required on this one! Not to mention the tax revenue the government will receive.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Palin finally got to Obama. ;)

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Great news! Republicans are now on board! Climate bill, energy bill, anything. They're happy with this compromise and are willing to work with Obama:

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/89999-boehner-rebukes-obama-offshore-drilling-plan

Sorry, I meant they're still the same obstructionist arseholes.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Hopefully this is just a short term (a decade or so) measure while alternative energies continue to become more viable.

As much as I don't want to see us continue using fossil fuels, I fully recognize that the alternatives are nowhere near primetime yet, but hopefully will get a major boost by Obama's addition of $15 billion to research (previously funded by $3 billion).

18. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Loaded Terms

Loaded terms liberals love but I can't stand:

-Obstructionist
    -Progressive

Anyways

I say we drill until its gone, then you will be amazed at how quickly we find a better source of energy once we actually NEED it. Trying to force business to use "Green" energy is such a joke.

19. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Great idea. That way, when the oil does run out, and other countries have energy and we don't, we'll be in such a great position to survive, much less compete. [/sarcasm]

20. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The U.S. hit its peak oil production a LONG LONG time ago and quickly declined from there. This will only make it worse.

We should save this oil and switch to renewable energy. Then we can use the remaining oil to make all the consumer stuff we buy on a daily basis that uses it.

There isn't a single consumer product that didn't require the use of oil, remember that.

If we use every last drop for transportation, we WILL be screwed.

21. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You missed out teabagger ?! :eek:

22. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

23. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Bad idea, Obama. The oil and natural gas we find still won't satisfy our needs. Plus we'll be hitting up any reserves we may need at some point down the road. Offshore and onshore wind and Solar are much better long term projects.

This does zero to help our real energy problems.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The bill as a whole is a very good idea. Did you read it? It makes big provisions for the development of alternative fuel sources.

25. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

No, I've read several articles but not the bill itself. I live about 5 miles from the Atlantic ocean, a newly "opened" exploratory area. Our coast is much better suited for offshore wind development. It's one of the most prime spots in the country for it.

I know for a fact that more harm then good will occur for my hometown if oil or natural gas is found anywhere near us. We are a tourist destination. Our local economy is based on the sea. Our fisheries are already strained. What good will an oil rig bring? No good. That's all. Any bill that devastates my hometown will not receive my support. Ever.