Bravo University of Chicago

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Herdfan, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016

Herdfan macrumors 6502

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/u...gainst-campus-political-correctness.html?_r=0

While I can understand the need for trigger warnings for someone who has experienced a trauma or situation in which something could bring back terrible memories (think rape victim). But the notion of safe spaces and trigger warnings because someone believes something different that you do is ridiculous. And most every campus has had safe spaces for many years. They are called dorm rooms and apartments.

What are these kids going to do once they are out in the real world. That is a scary thought. My neighbor has already had it with hiring under 30's. He says they don't want to work and something is always coming up that they think is more important than coming to work.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Good for them. I hope they don't cave at the first protest.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even a PC-loving, super-squishy liberal like me loves it.

It's a very reasonable standard to adhere to.

Buck up little campers.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

We will see if they hold to this or not. My guess is "no".

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The administration will cave the first time some sensitive cupcake calls home crying and his or her check-writing alumni parents complain to the university president.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Considering that schools who cave in to the PC brigades are losing alumni donations, I don't think this would be the case.

7. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

This is just one school but we need a National (and International) referendum on what is taught in schools that receive taxes breaks or straight money for schools!

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't have thought you were such a fan of centralized authority.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Usually I despise central authority but colleges have corrupted their mission to train people for the economy but instead to social diploma mills that thave no skills to give these kids skills for life! It was become rampant and something needs to be done!

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

This was the basis for the invention of tenure. Professors teaching things like poli-sci and telling their students about Marxism and <gasp!> communism were likely to lose their jobs. Tenure was invented to protect those with the different ideas.

It seems to have gone full circle. Tenure no longer does what it was designed to do, and now the audience wants the protection.

Safe spaces...bleh.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

What is really scary is the sheltered nature America raises children (imposing a G rated world until the day they are 18). I have encountered a few young adults totally clueless about the real world, confused and shocked about what they hear.

And the rare exception of one who is aware or reality.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I work at college, and I think that perspective is far too negative.

Sounds like you've given in to cranky-old-man syndrome.

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Humboldt State, IIRC. That's one of the most liberal campuses in the country, so your view is not surprising.

Indeed, quite right. The liberals who run U.S. universities can’t be surprised by the epidemic of grievances on their campuses. Their generation used political correctness to exclude conservative thought from the faculty. Now their students reject academic freedom for everyone. Administrators quickly cave in to their demands, abandoning centuries-old principles of open inquiry.

UChicago's position now is consistent with the position it took when the free speech flap erupted at the University of Missouri last fall. At that time, UChicago made its position clear that freedom of expression for everyone was an essential element of the University's mission. Their statement linked below should be the model for all universities.

https://provost.uchicago.edu/sites/default/files/documents/reports/FOECommitteeReport.pdf

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Their mascot is the Lumberjack Lesbian.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

How do you measure the liberalism of a college?

16. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

You're confusing a university with a trade school. The mission of universities is not to train "people for the economy".

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Then what is the Universities propose not teach the students to make in life? They sure go into massive debt to have no marketable skill in today's economy! :mad:
    --- Post Merged, Aug 31, 2016 ---
    No the only marketable skill are in the STEM fields anymore and these fields are becoming outsourced at an alarming pace!

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Since the colleges are unable to regulate themselves, to the point big businesses (even Apple) have said students are not adequate, how about this:

Make the colleges pay back the money they took from the students because the colleges did not perform and students either learned what is needed elsewhere or is stuck in another field or even fast food slop. So a solution is this: Refund the students, who in turn pay off the national debt noting that the debt problem there sorta skyrocketed at the same time the great recession kicked in. Correlation may not be causation, but that parallel is based on direct issues (retrain for a job being the simplest and most obvious answer and I doubt millions of people went back for "advanced basket weaving".) With the grade inflation on top of inflated costs and a slew of other issues, how can the colleges exonerate themselves with all the evidence that has shown how they have fleeced students, workers, everyone in this nation in one form or another, so badly?!!

19. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

This was never an issue except for a small vocal minority of students who don't want to hear opposing view points.

People on the alt right just made it a big deal because they want to be racist towards minority groups and want to find a way to blame it on other people.

20. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Little confused by your post.

Your first sentence says it wasn't a big deal except for a small vocal minority who didn't want to hear opposing views. I get his part and it is accurate.

But the second part about the people on the alt-right making it a big deal is far from accurate. Most if not all of the speakers that were protested had conservative views and the vocal minority were progressives who were afraid to let them speak. The right making it a big deal has nothing to do with race but instead it is about freedom to express ideas that others might not agree with.

21. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

ok yeah good point. i was bringing the the alt-right extreme anti-PC brigade which doesn't have anything to do with this topic i guess.

people or institutions suppressing conservative viewpoints are wrong and should be stopped immediately. my point was that there was a vocal minority of students who wanted safe space and triggers for everything (not 'legitimate ones for example for people who were sexually abused or had another form of PTSD). the vast majority of students on most campuses felt that all viewpoints should be respected no matter how extreme they were.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

LOL alt-right. I love how the left comes out with new marching orders and scripts.

23. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

LOL no script. i used that term because i view those people separate from actual conservatives and other republicans

24. haxrnick, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016

haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1