Brazilian iPhone, Apple USA replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by r2fa3l, Dec 4, 2011.

1. r2fa3l macrumors regular

Hi,

My friend is an exchange student from Brazil and we had a question, is it possible to replace/repair an iPhone 4 bought in Brazil, in an Apple Store here in the U.S.? His Home button + Power button have been acting up for awhile, so it'd be great if he could get it fix asap.

If anyone could help we'd really appreciate it,

Thanks
    :D

2. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

apple warranty is worldwide so as long as its under warranty i don't see why not

3. dommo92 macrumors member

I'm also in a situation similar to this too, I don't mean to hijack but, I live in Japan and I currently have an unlocked Black AT&T 32gb iPhone 4S that I bought device only at the full price.

If I need to get a replacement here in Japan would that be possible?! Considering that Japan has NEVER provided unlocked iPhones since the release of the 3G years back. Even up til now, they don't even sell the factory unlocked 4S.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

From what I understand, unless Apple changed their Warranty policy, iphone does not fall under worldwide warranty. It is a country of origin where it was purchased. Other device such as MBP is worldwide.

Now I understand that maybe for the factory unlocked iphone is different so they may honor that anywhere that sells factory unlocked iphone officially. So if Brazil sells factory unlocked iphone then the Apple store in U.S may honor a replacement.

But then it's always a good idea and talk to Apple about it. So give apple a call and see what they say about this.

5. iPhone Warrior macrumors member

The iPhone warranty is NOT world wide. The users will need to go back to the original country of purchase, In this case Brazil and USA, to obtain warranty.
    It's been this since the 1st iPhone regardless if it is factory unlocked or not.
    Good luck.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

He certainly should take it in and see what they can do. Apple's warranty states that "Apple may restrict warranty service to the country where Apple or its Authorized Distributors originally sold the Apple Product." However that doesn't mean they won't help him out.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone/